South down or LR in sump?

My sump can only be a 10 gal b/c space issuses. This sump has to bee a combo of sump/refugium. So, with the plumbing, heater, skimmer and filtration I can only do so much. Is it better to have a chamber for sand or just go with all LR on the bottom. Which is more beneficial?
I was also considering adding a bio wheel like the tidepool sumps. Are these as good for removing ammonia and nitrites on contact as they say. Bioballs are also an option to add but I will not substitute for LR. What your thoughts? Thanks.

hairtrigger

Just my opinion, and what I ve heard, but, I gather there is no better bio filter than live rock. Every little bit counts. The more poreous the rock, the better. Ask a shark, they'd probably know a lot more. you could ask BangGuy, he knows about DSB and that sort of thing.

farlow

I did both.
I took a normal wet dry system, drilled holes in the acrylic between where the bio balls went and the sump part.
Filled the bottom with Live Sand and replaced the bio balls with live rocks.
http://abusive.net/gallery Click on tank pics I have a few pictures of it there.
But I'm a newbie. I was doing what my LFS recomended, works better then the bio balls. My levels are a lot better and I do less frequent water changes.
I plan to replace it with a full plenium though....