Southdown or Equivalent in Los Angeles?

buzz

OK...starting the search again.
In setting up my 100g, I now have it filled with water (finally). Now the fun part. The search for sand. Anyone know of a good bulk sand source for aquarium use?

shep

It called westdown in that part of the US.:D
Actually I would suggest going to LFS and checking dates on live sand. One of my friends just got 200lbs of live sand for 50% off due to it ran out of date by 2 days. he paid roughly 2 bucks a pound for live fiji sand that was only 12 days out of water.

bigmac

Its been really easy to get for the past few years, usually costing about 15.00 per 50 pound bag. I haven't seen it that much lately. Check out the SCMAS forum at ReefCentral.

buzz

Shep - While Live Sand would be the ideal, even at discount rates, sand for a DSB on a 100g would cost hundreds. I mean, even your friend paid $400 for sand.
The beauty of Southdown is it's price. Although higher on the West Coast, $15 per 50 lb. bag (which is what I paid last time) is much cheaper. Cost is a factor for me. Building the setup from the ground up, I am all ready into it about $1500 and don't have sand, rock or lights yet. It's filled with water, but that's all.
I got it before from an LFS who stumbled across a few bags, but I haven't seen it in a while.

shep

If you want to go cheap I agree with Old Yeller, instant cheap fixes are that and that only in the end. I have heard a few southdown horror stories before. Also I must say that if cost is a major factor for you maybe you should have went smaller to be honest. This is a slightly expensive hobby. I have about 3-4k in my 125. That's with me building the stand and canopy. Like I said though, cheap fixes usually end up being just that.

buzz

I appreciate the input Shep. I didn't expect cheap. But why spend $400 for sand when you can get the same for half the price?
I've used Southdown before, and love it. It is a very good, fine grain sand and works great for a DSB. I am not looking for just a cheap fix. Just not looking to throw money away for no reason.
I've had tanks for over a year now - a 29g, and then a 60g, now the 100g. I have probably $4,000+ invested in tanks so far myself. I built my stand and canopy as well.
I'd rather put the extra few hundred dollars toward my lighting, or LR if possible. If I can't find what I am looking for, of course I'll go another route.
Old Yeller - I'll check that out. And yes, $18.90 is not bad either!
Thanks!

stillfrodo

I ended up buying a 150lbs of the southdown then seeding it with a few pounds of live sand. Also I'm sure the LR is going to help seed it too. My LFS charges a fortune for live sand and to do a DSB would of cost me hundreds. Money best spent on LR corals or inverts.

buzz

Checked the SCMAS Forum...he still has a few bags, but they are spoken for. If they don't pick them up by Sunday, he'll let me know.

buzz

Well, a friend of mine took a ride down to a popular dry goods place near the 605 fwy (not gonna say which one), and picked up some sand for me there. 6 - 30lb bags of Aragamax, and 2 - 40lb bags of Special grade Seaflor Aragonite for the top layer.
Not too bad. 260 lbs of sand for $165.83. I'll seed it from my 60g, and I'll be all set. Thanks for the help.