Southdown Playsand

ntvflgirl

I asked this question on the new hobbyist forum, and Bang Guy told me to only add 1/2 inch at a time to a cycled tank....not sure if yours is cycled or not, and he also told me to NEVER put the sand in without bacteria in it. So make sure it has bacteria in it BEFORE adding it to your setup. His instructions: First, put a couple of gallons of old tank water into a bucket. Pour the sand in until it starts to form a mound. Then add some flake food, or any organic food, and stir. Let it sit for at least a week "stewing". If you want to add more, have a few buckets stewing. I am assuming this will help hold the sand together, among other things. You could try asking him directly, though. HTH

gregzbobo

Does anyone know where I might find some southdown in the Oklahoma City area? I'd be willing to drive to Tulsa also if there is some there..... Worth the short hop to save my self from paying a buck a pound for the major brand name stuff, I won't mention names.( :coughcaribseacough: ) :D

nickoz

I spoke with someone at Southdown,inc and they told me that you can get either at HomeDepot under the name Southdown.
and at Ace TrueValue under the name Yardright. She also said that you can go to any locatoin of either store and special order it.
-nick

gregzbobo

A couple days ago I tried to special order from home depot and they refused to do it. I would have to order an entire pallet of it, and even then I'd have to pay for the truck to haul it out here from thier supplier. If I knew enough fellow marine aquariusts here we could split the price, but I don't know any at all. I will try Ace hardware/Westlake tomorrow though. Thanks nickoz.