Southdown Sand Alternatives

baondayko

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Southdown sand. It would seem that no Home Depots in Central Ohio have even heard of this type of sand. I really don't want to pay the price of the local fish stores.
Thanks
Brock

mdvm

I stopped by my local hardware store and they had white play sand for 3.50 a 50lb bag. Maybe you might get lucky like I did.

mudd puppy

There is three HD in Ohio that have it. Two in Cin. and one on Mansfield. There was a post with the locations and numbers of these HD. Do a search on SD on this site and they should pop up.

P

pirate_bob

yea there is none in toledo either.. i've been all over from HD to lowes.... I actually got lucky and Petsupplies plus was selling reef sand 10 pound bags for 5 bucks... little more expensive but you know your getting the right stuff

cboyfan2020

there are quite a few people who have used sand blasting sand because of the fine grains. It is usually a silica sand but thats a whole different discussion.

baondayko

I actually found some Southdown. There is a Home Depot in Mansfield, Ohio that sells it for $5 for a 40lb bag.
Thanks
Brock