southdown sand in south florida

E

elan

does anyone know where i can find southdown sand in south florida?

plum70rt

are you going to ditch the crushed Coral?
playsand is ok,white bag with blue label, same as southdown
then seed it with livesand,

E

elan

yeah.. ditching the coral... i read some articles online on it, and after seeing your tank and everyones opinion on the matter, i am going to change to DSB!! :D
what i will try and do is keep the sand in the back of the tank, and in the front, keep it low so i have more viewable area from the front.
so blue bag it is!!! i still cant belive i need so many pounds of sand... i plan on getting 300lbs of the playsand and covering it with 40 lbs of live sand...
i want to get a screen and lay it down at around the two inch mark, so if there are any sand sifters or the like, they wont get too low in the sand to eat some of the "detrius--thats what its called right??"
any suggestions on a screen of that type?

N

newreefers

I've never heard of using a screen, I don't have anything like that in my tank, I just put the sand on the bare bottom tank and nothing else.:)

blondenaso1

Where in Tampa do they have it? I am not setting up a new tank anywhere in the near future, but I am sure I will someday and it would be good to have.

plum70rt

The screen would have to be of a nylon type, If you are worried about a sand sifter eating pods or worms just leave it out, on your sandbed if you go for a 5 inch you will need 450lbs, 4 inch, 360lbs

E

elan

finally got the sandbed in my tank... all has settled pretty much, probably another day or so till its back to very clear!.
thanks for all your help
elan