Southdown sand

krusk

Hi folks
Do I need to raise the southdown sand really good before add to my tank?
Thanks

krusk

Yes I meant rinse.
I love to heard that, "You don't have to rinse the sand" yeehaa.
DSB + refugium tank + lots of live rock + good skimmer. Any thing else I miss?
thanks

fshhub

if the tank ahs no fishes(or inverts)nope, don't rise it, all you'll do is wash away part of your sand, dust is same stuff only finer, you may have a dust cloud for a couple of days, but it will settle
if you do have a stocked tank, i would however soak it for a few days, then pour down a tube, to avoid too much dust, stressing your fish
HTH

If you are talking about your 75 gal tank I think you should buy l/s on line(if you can afford it). I know everyone on the bb praise SD, but the reason I say that is I have SD sand and no matter how much you rinse or "raise" it :D It's going to cloud like hell. And anytime after that you mix up your sand it clouds up again. I have a 125gal tank and even less money so I tried to take the easy way out but when I set up another tank it will be all l/s. JMO.

fishfreek

If you add the dry sand using a 1-1/2" diameter piece of PVC pipe (enough to reach the bottom of your tank). Your water will not cloud up nearly as much as if you pour it in directly, IMO. Just pour it in the tube slowly. HTH