southdown...what to do about film

buzz

I have heard of people using quikrete sand. But I believe there are a couple of different kinds.
Whichever is the right kind, I have heard good things about. I am not partial to the appearance, but it works.

ty_05_f

Do they Sell southdown in Oklahoma. anyone know??? And if they don't have it what should i get?

broncofish

In my 90 I have quickcrete. It was play sand from the pacific washed, and sterilized. I checked into it and they use a autoclave for sterilization. It is about as pure as sand can get. The draw back is the darker color, so I use it as a base, and put live aragonite sand over the top of it. It got all mixed together over time and has a realy cool speckled effects. If somebody knows of chemicals in it I would love to hear what they are, and what they are basing it on.

buzz

There are different kinds of quikrete sand. Not all can be used in a tank. Be careful.
Personally, I don't like the coarse grain and dark color. That's why I don't use it.

broncofish

I know that it is darker, and not quite as fine. Hell I found a bag of southdown in CA, and was reading it and it said it was not safe for aquarium use? I wish somebody could fill me in on that. Also the quickcrete has a bunch of different sands, but only one of them is sterilised

broncofish

IMO DIS you should be fine...of course if some dude/dudette pops in here and is a quickcrete employee and tells me it is going to nuke my tank in like 1 more year

juddster

Thanks for the replys ...the sand has been washed and sterilized according to the bag. it is a little on the yellow side...i am planing to add some live sand on top to complete it once the water clears! hope it happens soon!!