Southdown?

b_ball12_99

Southdown sand from Home Depot is it called Southdown or is that the company that makes it? I checked for it today and say play sand but didn't think it is the same. Are they the same or completely different?

dsboyd

I looked at HD and Lowes, neither had it. Does anyone in the Detroit area know wherre to get some?
Thanks!

mr . salty

Southdown Tropical Play Sand is only avalible at Home Depot's on the east coast. Sometimes you can talk your local store into getting some,but they only order a pallett full.That's like 20 bags,so unless you can buy it all,they usually won't mess with it. I have a Phone number that used to sell the stuff,but I hear they don't do that anymore either.

b_ball12_99

I live in northern virginia and thats close enout to the coast. I saw what said "Play Sand" on it but no "Southdown." Its not the same stuff is it?

@knight

OK yall,
Here's the deal. You need to go into your local Home Depot and request this stuff!
I talked to a Mgr. at one of my local stores and they said if people would have them order the stuff for them, and they saw a market for it, they would start carrying it. In the meantime, all you need to do is take this info in to your local HD and tell them you need it. When I got mine, they had transferred from a store in PA. Do not waste your dime calling SouthDown directly, as they do not sell this product in small amounts to the public anymore.
If you find any other info on this topic, please e-mail me, my address is in my profile. HTH.
SKU # 578-819
UPC # 0-210026-16865-5
MODEL # 420-100
manufactured by SouthDown, Inc.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: @knight ]

@knight

i think they also have a 15 lb small bag avail. and the pkg is different. but it costs about $1 less than the 50 pounder.

S

schroder_reef

I suggest you call the home depot nearest you, doesn't matter if you are in AZ, IA, etc, and give them this SKU# 578-819 make sure you tell them that thats for Southdown Tropical play sand... If you need to, give them the phone number for the Allentown home depot, email me for number and tell them to talk to the Garden section. They will be able to order whatever you want.
email me at schroder_is@hotmail.com
[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: schroder_reef ]

S

schroder_reef

you need to ask for THE manager and tell them that you want this product and that its a product that only home depot carries and you know that they sell it at the Allentown store in PA, *you can get that phone number off a search engine, its the whitehall one) and have them call up to the garden section and get all the info they need to do a "store to store" transfer.... Thats it thats as complicated as it gets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

schroder_reef

they should we are only getting 4 bags and we're further south than you

D

diatom

From what I've read, it really depends on the store manager....and most aren't as accomidating as schroder's.
Good luck,
D~

cyn

If southdown is so popular among reef enthusiasts, why aren't the LFS carrying it? It would seem to me from reading this board and other internet sites that this stuff is very popular. Just my .02... :confused:

option720

CYN-
If you are a LFS and you have the option of selling a 50# bag of SD sand for $3.49 or a 30# bag of Caribsea sand for $35.00....which would you choose to sell. It all comes down to the dollar.
However, this philosophy really does not make sense if you think about it. If you are starting up a reef tank and spend $235 on 200 pounds of Caribsea, that is going to be a one time big purchase that is going to put a small strain on the wallet. But at that point you have spent 235 bucks on something that requires nothing to maintain. Instead Say you bought 200 pounds of southdown sand for $14.00 at the LFS. And then in three weeks the sold you fish, corals, lights, etc to make up the other $221 from not selling you the caribsea. Well now you need buy additives, buffers, etc.
Basically what i am saying is it make more sense as a businessman to have a customer spend money on a product that will always require maintanence (fish, corals, etc) as opposed to something that won't(sand)
Amen....my preaching is done..i am steppin off the soap box!

D

diatom

Cyn~
Through a licencing agreement with the company that produces Southdown and Caribsea sand. Southdown is only to be distrubted through Home Depot...works out well for all involved...except for the reefers of course, but really who cares about them

cyn

Thanks for the answers, but the problem still remains. I have checked most of the HD stores south of Houston and they all claim that they can not get the stuff! Even with the info from here :( I am going to Houston today with the hopes of finding some. I sunk most of my tank budget into LR and then found this board. Now I want to convert my CC and argonite(large particle) to DSB and can not afford the stuff at the LFS or even here so Southdown sounds like the answer.

whipple

JUST KEEP THE PRESSURE ON THEM AND DONT TALK TO ANYONE (BUT THE MANAGER) IM IN CA. AND I GOT THEM TO BRING A PALLET FROM NEW YORK SO I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE.

cyn

I spent about 2 hours with HD today and no luck. Even with the SKU#. They say that it is not in their computer system? The manager at the Clear Lake Shores store told me that they only have a contract with Quickcrete for play sand. I am thinking about calling the stores in Baton Rouge.. :rolleyes: