Soy sauce and ro water

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mie
Any reason why i should toss it or just a precaution.
Just as a precaution. If you can still smell soy sauce in there then it isn't clean. You can try REALY hot, but not boiling (it is plastic) water and see if you can still smell it. Maybe I am overly cautious. Food grade containers are good, but soy sauce I am unsure of. I wouldn't use a container that had been used for something else unless it was sterilized. I wouldn't personally use it, but if you feel comfortable after thoroughly cleaning it then I truely hope that it works out fine for you.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mie
It is outside soaking in vinegar and water till the morning.
Alright. I just googled soy sauce to find out what is in it. It is traditionally made out of soy beans, vinegar, and spices. If it is commercially made then there are all kinds of preservatives and acids in it. I am sure if the container soaks then is rinsed in hot water it will be fine though.

mie

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Alright. I just googled soy sauce to find out what is in it. It is traditionally made out of soy beans, vinegar, and spices. If it is commercially made then there are all kinds of preservatives and acids in it. I am sure if the container soaks then is rinsed in hot water it will be fine though.
I posted the indredients earlier, and thought that none of them were very harmful but was uncertain.Thanks sep..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mie
I posted the indredients earlier, and thought that none of them were very harmful but was uncertain.Thanks sep..
Well the ingredients of naturally made soy sauce and those of commercially made are the same but different. Commercially made ones contain a whole lot more. If you have a large bucket that was once used for soy sauce then I am going to hazzard a guess that it is commercially made for a restaurant or something to that effect.

t316

It's Soy Sauce
99% soy beans, salt, and water. Besides slanted eyes, you can't OD on this stuff. In humans, high blood pressure. In tank, keep a check on your salinity.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by T316
It's Soy Sauce
99% soy beans, salt, and water. Besides slanted eyes, you can't OD on this stuff. In humans, high blood pressure. In tank, keep a check on your salinity.
Check out what is in commercially made soy sauce. No slanty eyes included

koolaidman

well, i get ro water from my lfs. They store their water in 55g soy sauce buckets. They told me that there is 0-2ppm of tds and after sitting in the buckets it rises to around 30ppm due to residue. This is after they have rinsed them out and bleached them several times over. It doesnt really bother me as 30ppm of soy sauce is still gonna be alot better than around 100ppm of tap water crud and heavy metals. I also dont complain cause i usually get it for free. I wouldnt worry about it. However, I use paintbuckets...bad idea...?

t316

SOY SAUCE
A dark brown, salty sauce used by most Asian cultures.
Nutrition
Nutrition Facts (USDA#16123)
Serving Size 100 grams
Calories 53
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 5715mg
Potassium 180mg
Total Carbohydrates 9g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 2g
Protein 5g
I would be fearful of fish "slanty eyes" and SALT

sepulatian

Today, properly prepared soy sauce is made from soybeans that are mixed with roasted grain (usually wheat, rice, or barley) and fermented for several months. Once the aging process is completed the mixture is strained and bottled. By contrast, synthetically manufactured soys are produced in a matter of days through a hydrolytic reaction and seasoned with corn syrup, caramel coloring, salt and water. They lack the savory flavor of naturally brewed soy and often have a metallic taste.
This was from "Soy sauce" that I found on google. Most of the links are about how to make it. I just wanted to post that there are chemicals and processes involved in mass produced soy sauce. This point is about done though because Mie is soaking the container and will be using it.

mie

More than likely going to use it. I just wanted everyones input and feedback, as there could obviously be somthing that one person could tell you that would shed a little light on the case as to a secret additive that would case mass chaos.
Just trying to do my homework.

ophiura

Please enough with the slanted eyes comments which are not particularly appropriate, thanks.
IMO, there would be no real issues in using it. I would do the bleach thing personally, but food grade is food grade. I don't believe there is anything that would leach into it that would harm fish, personally. Take a look at all the chemicals in fish food!
FWIW, public zoos and aquaria must meet a standard where all food fed to animals is fit for human consumption. So containers used for human food would, IMO, meet the same standards. Would I pour a whole bottle of soy sauce into my tank? No...but I wouldn't pour it down my throat either. But using the container for it after it is well rinsed? I don't think there would be issues, but it is my opinion on it which I will be first to admit is frequently wrong

puffer32

I use bleach to kill germs all over my house, including my tank equiptment. During my 20 some yrs of owning a daycare, I learned the best and cheapest germ buster was good old household bleach. I used it on toys all the time and we all know how toddlers put everything in their mouths. Making sure all the bleach is rinsed off is a given though.

ophiura

It shouldn't, it is commonly used in this hobby. That is how people keep much of their artificial decor looking clean. Use a dilute solution, and rinse well. Leave water in it and add dechlorinator to it, and it is pretty much taken care of. I used it basically every day to clean the socks used in many sump systems.

mie

Would novaqua+plus water conditioner work to use after the bleach cleaning?
It says it detoxifies tap water and breaks down chloramines.

nel621

Originally Posted by mie
I have a new mixing container, it is a 55 gallon plastic drum that once contained soy sauce. Will this be ok for salt mixing and storage?
I rinsed it out a few times, water is clear and appears nice and clean, however there is still a faint smell of soy sauce.
Will this be ok?
I picked up 5 5gal containers from my local chinese fast food place.These held cooking oil.I first washed them with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove the oil film. Then the coantainers were rinse and washed with a little vinager.All the washing was done with hot water and the rinsing with cold water.I then filled the containers and added a dechlorinator and let iy sit for afew days with an airstone bubbling in it.the container have no oil smell,or oilly feel.The down side is that the containers are somewhat soft,so after a few months of flexing as you empty them some a developed a small pin hole leak wher the container collapses.No big deal they were free.I still have 2 left and will be getting some more.

mie

Ok i just got done rinsing out the barrel and no more soy sauce smell. I am going to use it.