Spagehtti Algae

the_bandit

Right now I have a small baseball size clump of Spagehtti in my refugium. It has been in there for about a month. It has slowly lost its color over time and is not growning. I am running a simple 10g 50/50 light. I have stuffed it in a rock so it could grow, created an eggcrate seat for it to sit on, tried free flowing with low and high flow. I dont get it. Its not green. More so greyish. Should I change my lighting? Any advice on taking care of this algae is welcome.

geoj

Are there algae in other parts of the system, if no then its done what you want. You are not trying to grow the algae but trying to prevent other algae from growing…

Iron, iodine, nitrate, light, temp, water are needed for algae…

the_bandit

Yes there is long hair algae growing, diatoms (which are expected) short tuffs of green algae all in the display tank. My temp stays between 78-80. I running a 50/50 lighting 24/7 on the sump/refugium, as yes there is water in the tank. I also have nitrates (10-15) at the moment as the tank is finishing its cycle.

paulyd1978

Usually what is called "bleaching" is caused by lack of lighting in plants and corals alike. One time I spilled some grass seed in my garage, which is dark and dusty, and before long I was growing white grass! So I would try increasing your lighting wattage as well as lengthening your photoperiod for awhile. I have cheatomopha growing like wildfire in my 'fuge and I leave it lit 24/7.