spam

socal57che

Actually....we are looking for constructive feedback.
Is the site user friendly?
Does is look legitimate and trustworthy?
Can you offer advice on how to improve the site?
Would you feel comfortable donating?
If not, what would make you feel more comfortable about donating?
Would you like to see an interactive blog detailing progress?
Anything you have to offer is appreciated.
Thank you!

gemmy

http://www.healingandempowering.org/Membership.html
A couple of typos on this page.
There are some grammatical mistakes on the homepage (particularly with punctuation). It is hard to take a site that wants you to donate seriously, when there are errors like this. It seems a little plain, and I would try to vary the fonts or colors a bit to make the pages stand out.
Overall, I do think the general idea is good. Is this an accredited organization? If so, call it out on the page.

reefraff

I think you need to make it more plain who the organization is and what the name is for that matter. Either add an 'About us" tab at the top or expend the mission statement. Are you advertising the group by the whole name or just HELP? If so I would look at trying to grab the web address help.org which looks like it's being used as a redirect for advertising right now. I am sure it will cost you something but it might be worth it in the long run. It also appears the address help.us might be open which is a nice little word play as well.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3364769
http://www.healingandempowering.org/Membership.html
A couple of typos on this page.
There are some grammatical mistakes on the homepage (particularly with punctuation). It is hard to take a site that wants you to donate seriously, when there are errors like this. It seems a little plain, and I would try to vary the fonts or colors a bit to make the pages stand out.
Overall, I do think the general idea is good. Is this an accredited organization? If so, call it out on the page.
Thanks. Most of the work was done late at night. We'll take another look at the grammar and spelling. My wife has toyed with the idea for a year and decided to move on it in the last couple months. We had trouble with the original font when the pages were published. Evidently there was some conflict and all the fonts were changed automatically when we loaded the pages. We struggled for days trying to correct it.
We are a registered nonprofit organization and have applied for 501c3 status. We are just waiting for approval letters to come back. It may take up to 6 months for this. We didn't want to advertise that donations were tax deductible until the process was 100% complete. We sprung for a toll free phone number and we have our Employer ID number.
I'll pass the info along to my wife and we'll try to get these things fixed. We just looked at the "membership" page and nobody remembers proofreading that one. lol We're also going to try a few different colors.
Thank you so much for your input. We truly value it.
So, I am leaning toward an earth-tone background. What do you guys think?

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3364825
I think you need to make it more plain who the organization is and what the name is for that matter. Either add an 'About us" tab at the top or expend the mission statement. Are you advertising the group by the whole name or just HELP? If so I would look at trying to grab the web address help.org which looks like it's being used as a redirect for advertising right now. I am sure it will cost you something but it might be worth it in the long run. It also appears the address help.us might be open which is a nice little word play as well.
Ok. We are working on a phrase that will sum up what we do. We'll probably use it as the centerpiece on the main page. We have been working on fliers, also. We'll read over our flier and likely update the mission statement with what we have on our fliers. We may end up combining the "mission" and "about us" to keep tabs at a minimum. We were afraid of it being too busy with tabs for everything. We'll look at acquiring help.org, too. I thought it was being used, but that may have been help.com. It's hard to remember everything we have looked at.
Thanks a million!

socal57che

Alright, Lisa just informed me that she shied away from advertising as HELP because the name was already in use and we wanted to avoid conflict with existing organizations. We simply named the tab "HELP" to get rid of "untitled" in the tab.
All of our advertising is labeled Healing and Empowering Lives and People. We have business cards and have put together a tri-fold flier. Bumper stickers are on the way.

We also have a facebook page. If anyone has any ideas on where to market our new organization for more exposure, we'd sure appreciate it. We are on a pretty tight budget, so free is always a plus.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Healing-and-Empowering-Lives-and-People-Corp/176678295707746

reefraff

Setting up an information table at local events that allow them is a good way to get the word out.

socal57che

Excellent idea. We have half a dozen farmers markets in the area. Even if we can't set up our own, if we split the fee, we might be able to share a table with an existing attendee.

stdreb27

I'm not sure what the goal is...
Personally ANYTIME I see something that says healing and Empowering, I automatically associate it with mlm types, and would instantly dismiss it...

stdreb27

If I were to start a nonprofit. I'd so something a little different for an opening page.
As for content, I'd have a photo showing service, handing out food or whatever it is you'll do with the money. a "your money in action shot"
a bleeding heart photo, the target.
And a mission statement. We want to provide x to yadda yadda ya...
Then close the sale. Request volenteers, funding, a marketing address etc.
That would be the home page.
After that, I'd do an addressing a need page.
complete with emotion illiciting factoids, photos, outlining your target group.
Then do an about us page.
I love these kids because, and here is how I got started. Include religious information....
Then do another donation page.
Then sell fundraising crap.
Whatever you do, try to avoid using the multi level marketing language, and stuff, because well, I hate that.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3365083
I'm not sure what the goal is...
Personally ANYTIME I see something that says healing and Empowering, I automatically associate it with mlm types, and would instantly dismiss it...
The biggest problem is that I don't know enough about MLM to know when I've used one of their tools/expressions. I've been hit up by a few friends that MLM. It's an easy way to get me to stop answering the phone for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3365091
If I were to start a nonprofit. I'd so something a little different for an opening page.
As for content, I'd have a photo showing service, handing out food or whatever it is you'll do with the money. a "your money in action shot"
a bleeding heart photo, the target.
And a mission statement. We want to provide x to yadda yadda ya...
Then close the sale. Request volenteers, funding, a marketing address etc.
That would be the home page.
After that, I'd do an addressing a need page.
complete with emotion illiciting factoids, photos, outlining your target group.
Then do an about us page.
I love these kids because, and here is how I got started. Include religious information....
Then do another donation page.
Then sell fundraising crap.
Whatever you do, try to avoid using the multi level marketing language, and stuff, because well, I hate that.
Ok...to the point, no driveling, no MLM marketing strategies (if we can spot them). Taken under advisement and will make changes accordingly.
I also researched background color. It seems that blue and silver are top colors for what we are doing, but are sometimes disliked by females. Gemmy, I assume that you're a female....yes?
After reviewing data on website colors, customer perception, and psychology, we have decided to keep the blue, but make a few subtle changes.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3365102
The biggest problem is that I don't know enough about MLM to know when I've used one of their tools/expressions. I've been hit up by a few friends that MLM. It's an easy way to get me to stop answering the phone for you.
Ok...to the point, no driveling, no MLM marketing strategies (if we can spot them). Taken under advisement and will make changes accordingly.
I also researched background color. It seems that blue and silver are top colors for what we are doing, but are sometimes disliked by females. Gemmy, I assume that you're a female....yes?
After reviewing data on website colors, customer perception, and psychology, we have decided to keep the blue, but make a few subtle changes.
Most people when they peruse a website, are going to look at the first page, not click any links, and then move on in less than 5 seconds. So you have to hit em fast, hard and quick. With enough info for them to know exactly what you're doing without overloading it. imo a good place to look is campaigning websites. A lot of times they'll just have one main page, with the person's face, their slogan and a donate button... After that page, if they hook you, then you click in and get a more in detail information about the person, candidate, cause etc.

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3365115
Most people when they peruse a website, are going to look at the first page, not click any links, and then move on in less than 5 seconds. So you have to hit em fast, hard and quick. With enough info for them to know exactly what you're doing without overloading it. imo a good place to look is campaigning websites. A lot of times they'll just have one main page, with the person's face, their slogan and a donate button... After that page, if they hook you, then you click in and get a more in detail information about the person, candidate, cause etc.
Good point. I have a few politicians in my friends list. I'll pour over their webites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///forum/thread/384188/spam#post_3365123
Yup, I'm a female. I like blue, but I am not a fan of silver.
It's odd, really. One website saw a near 100% incease in the number of people that remained on their site for longer than "x" seconds (I forget how many) by simply changing the background color. The website was marketing to a female audience. Color seems to have a bigger effect on females than males. Silver, believe it or not, instills a sense of believability in many people. We may try playing with the gradients a little.
This is exactly the kind of feedback we are looking for, though. How will someone we don't know percieve the website. Yours was the first to mention color scheme. Lisa plans to add more photographs once we arrange photo opportunities. This might make the website look less cold. That may be why you don't like the silver. With the blue, it's a little cold.
The funniest thing is that my wife doesn't even really like people, but feels led to reach out and help. This means getting to know people. It's amazing to watch her transformation. She has been approaching homeless people and starting conversations with them. We're getting into the lives of people that we had been walking right past...maybe giving them money or food, but not changing anything.
Marketing our organization is proving harder than actually helping people. Ironically, helping requires that we are funded and, therefore, marketed properly. lol We think the entire process seems a little cold. It's hard to "warm up" asking for someone's hard earned money. Government grants are available, but we would like to avoid using working america's tax dollars for funding. It's the exact opposite of what we are trying to do. We want to teach people to be less dependent on government, so accepting government grant money seems a bit hipocritical. We are looking into private grants.