spare 5 gallon tank. anything i can use it for?

hawkfishman

i have a spare 5 gallon tank now since i moved my GSP puffer into the 10 gallon tank. i had the 5G tank set-up for my puffer as brakish as i could. now, after i attempt to clean the thing out, is there anything i can use it for? i keep thinking of doing something with some live rock with it, like somehow getting more coraline algae with it. idk if thats possible with just a 5G tank.
any suggestions on what i can/should use it for?

speg

Originally Posted by hawkfishman
http:///forum/post/3235671
really? a manits? i didnt think a 5 gallon would really hold much life in it. lol. how small are they/can they be?
There are different types of mantis shrimp so they come in all sizes. Mantis shrimp don't need much; a decent sized sand bed to build a hole; a couple of rocks for cover. I used to have one before I got out of the hobby (back in the saddle again!). Actually, a SWF.com member ended up sending me one they pulled out of their live rock :)
Who knows.. maybe one day this could be you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9z5e1r2KM
but I wouldn't recommend it :)

xcali1985

Use it to breed pods and other things that your display tank needs. Trust me in 6 months you will benefit from it. You will be able to take a sponge and litterly just throw it in the 5gal for a week and let it fill with pods then throw it in the sump of your tank. Once you have a established pod tank you will benefit by providing your fish with a constant food source.
I have a 10 gallon that I plan on setting up with a photoplankton drip to keep the pods food source high. A 24/7 1/2 and 1/2 bulb to grow a macro algae they love to grow in it.

hawkfishman

ok if i use it to bred the pods, would it need to have good filtration? and i dont currenlty have a sump, i have a rena Xp2 canister filter. so, if i were to stick the sponge? and, i would need live rock in the 5 gallon and live sand? sorry, but im new to the sump/ref/copepod breeding thing lol

kacey

From what I've read, copepods don't need much. Some indirect light, a cooler room (they seem to breed better when it's cooler) phytoplankon to eat and a small air pump (like you'd use for an airstone) set to release 1-2 bubbles a second. They don't really need live rock or live sand, though they will need routine water changes to keep the culture from crashing. I've found a couple website with a 'how to' on raising copepods. I don't think I'm allowed to post them, but PM me and I can point you in that direction. :)

xcali1985

People breed them in soda bottles so they don't need much. Google how to breed pods and you'll get a lot of info.