Species only tank what should i get?

reef_dart21

ok i got a good biowheel, and their will be sand in the bottom of a 40 gallon hexagon tank. Now what agressive fish can i stick in a species only 40 gallon without me running into spaces issues and etc????
all help is apreciated
(if the fish you name needs coral i got another tank with alot of it ^_^)

reef_dart21

woah now i heard octopuses are very hard to take care of....i could try its just i would need to do alot of reaserch on it. sound very cool to have one but i would need ALOT of help on this one.
the most difficult agressive fish i owned (until i sold after its size became a problem) was a long horn cow fish.
great idea though i would just need to nko food what type of area/ etc.
Any other ideas would also be greatly apriciated

mike22cha

Originally Posted by Reef_Dart21
woah now i heard octopuses are very hard to take care of....i could try its just i would need to do alot of reaserch on it. sound very cool to have one but i would need ALOT of help on this one.
the most difficult agressive fish i owned (until i sold after its size became a problem) was a long horn cow fish.
great idea though i would just need to nko food what type of area/ etc.
Any other ideas would also be greatly apriciated

Check www.tonmo.com

reef_dart21

that website has everything
i like the octopuses now all i need to nko is where to get one at

any ways if the octopus doesnt work out how bout these?
chainlink eel (or someother one)
small manta ray
frog fish
sea goblin
small lion fish
maybye another loghorn cowfish
puffer fish (i forget name but its really agressive)
smaller grouper species
pink face wrasse
or HOPEFULLY a octopus (dwarf sized one of course)

mike22cha

chainlink eel (or someother one)
small manta ray
frog fish
sea goblin
small lion fish
puffer fish (i forget name but its really agressive)
smaller grouper species
pink face wrasse
A dwarf puffer or lion could work.

crashbandicoot

frog fish
sea goblin
small lion fish
Everything else on your list does not belong in a tank that size.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by monkdaily
i would go with the pair of dwarf octos i think Bimaculoides. or a pair the dwarf cuttlefish Sepia Bandensis
Bimacs are not dwarfs. Mercatoris and joubini are dwarfs, and they are nocturnal and shy.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
Bimacs are not dwarfs. Mercatoris is joubini are dwarfs, and they are nocturnal and shy.

so texas metal i heard your a octopus expert, what do u think about two dwarf octopuses into a 40 gallon hex? safe or no?

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
Everything else on your list does not belong in a tank that size.
no octopus that is very small or every a dwarf fuzy lion fish, or a sargassum frogfish? would work?

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by monkdaily
i would go with the pair of dwarf octos i think Bimaculoides. or a pair the dwarf cuttlefish Sepia Bandensis

is a cuttle fish just another relative of a octopus? because it looks cool but just like a octopus

texasmetal

You really should check out TONMO.com
Yes, cuttles are cephalopods just like octopuses. Similar, but they swim instead of walk. About the same care needs, but they don't climb out of tanks.
You can keep several dwarf O. mercatoris in the same tank, but mercs only come out at night. A plus to keeping them though, is that they are fairly easy to raise from hatchlings, so your group could produce fertile eggs, and you could keep the next generation going and continue the cycle.
Any interactive octopus is going to need room to wander around and explore, so a 50 gallon or larger is recommended. Not to mention the water volume will help dilute the waste the octopus creates which is about 3 times more than a fish of similar size plus the leftovers from food.

reef_dart21

well i dont mind having smaller octopuses but i would rather see them come out than stay hidden all day. I heard red lights makes them come out during the day is it true for that species of octopus?

mike22cha

I would suggest some dwarf cuttlefish because those are awesome, aren't escape masters, and are just awesome. I don't think they hide as much as octo's, but I may be wrong.

texasmetal

Man it's hard to point people in the right direction for the answers to all their octo/cuttle questions. {EDIT} A member there is raising baby Sepia Bandensis (dwarf cuttlefish) and is going to sell some of them in March.
Red lights are used to view nocturnal octopuses at night, because they don't really see the red spectrum so it tricks them into thinking it is still dark. If the room is completely dark during the day that might work.