Specific coral tank(LPS v. SPS v. soft)

reef dude

Recently I have been adding my first corals to my tank. The frogspawn(LPS) has done very well under my 380 watts of total light, 4.2 watts/gallon. I then bought a finger leather and colt, and toadstool, but the toadstool seems to not like so much light.
My Question: Should I stock my tank with JUST LPS corals, just SPS corals, or just softies? Should i keep the tank to one type, or I can I mix them all up with eachother?

finland

I am just bumping, I'd like to hear some input also. I have a mix of softies and LPS. All seem to go well together, except the toadstool leather died for an unknown reason. Maybe too much light.Who knows. I am running about 6.5watts/gallon. I'd like to know if I can mix sps with them.

Yes, you can mix the three together. I do in my reefs. You just have to be careful in the placement of some corals. If you get the more aggressive species too close to others, the aggressive corals will win, and kill the others. It's all a matter of researching which are aggressive and which are not.
As a rule of thumb, alot of people go by the 6in rule. Keep corals 6in apart from each other, giving room for growth, polyp expansion, stinger cells, ect.
As an example, I had to move a Frogspawn recently, due to the growth of my Galaxea. It has tripled in size since I got it, and it was stinging the Frogspawn, and even killed off 1 head.
HTH

I too am less than 6in. It really depends on the corals at hand. Remember, this is just a rule of thumb, not gospel...

a galaxia will extend it's tenticles up to 18 inches in all directions. not a good coral for a small tank if you ask me. they are also one of the most aggressive corals too. they will kill just about anything they want to. just somthing for ya to keep in mind.;)