Speeding ticket

scubadoo

Washington State Police Use Ticket Quotas
Quotas boost the number of traffic tickets issued by the Washington State Patrol.
Officials with the Washington State Patrol set numeric goals that encourage state police officers to issue as many traffic citations as possible. The effect has been a significant increase in the number of tickets written -- 50,000 additional tickets were issued between 2005 and 2006. The boost came as the percentage of motorists who received tickets instead of warnings jumped from 43 percent in 2004 to 63 percent in 2006.
"We did ask our troopers to be a little less tolerant," Assistant State Patrol Chief Brian Ursino told KING-TV. "There isn't any quotas but there is accountability."
A Bellvue state patrol sergeant issued a memo ordering troopers to meet the accountability goals, writing: "No matter how many cars you stop, the goal... is 80 percent enforcement (tickets)."
Those failing to meet the goal may lose vacation time or receive other sanctions. KING-TV cited a March memo that suggested troopers who stopped 1200 drivers and issued at least 660 traffic tickets would receive a commendation -- essential for officers seeking to increase their pay through promotions.
Legislators including state Representative Shirley Hankins (R-Richland) have called for an end to ticket quotas, but the state patrol has a powerful ally. Former Criminal Justice and Corrections Committee Chairman Al O'Brien (D-Mountlake Terrace) spent 29 years working as a Seattle Police sergeant. O'Brien now chairs the Public Safety Committee and refuses to hold a hearing on any ticket quota bill.
Ticket quotas are nothing new for the Washington State Police. In 2002, a public records request by the Washington Seatbelt Coalition uncovered a confidential "Traffic Safety Blitz" memo urging a specific number of tickets issued each hour.
"During the emphasis, officers shall contact a minimum of three (3) violators per working hour with the desired outcome of 3 occupant protection/speed infractions per hour," Deputy State Patrol Chief Lowell M. Porter wrote. "Officers failing to meet the minimum requirement may be replaced."
Source: Are WSP troopers filling ticket quotas? (KING-TV (WA), 11/27/2007)

aquaknight

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2455075
doesn't matter where it is, at the bottom of a hill or whatever. brakes work to slow a car down going down a hill just as well as going on flat surface. i live on a hill where it's about a mile decline from the top of it, and goes for another 2 miles (with a couple ups though) and people go wild on it. i'm afraid sometimes for my dog, other peoples dogs, deer, turkey, kids, etc because people just feel that a decline allows them to go as fast as they want.
No doubt if it's in a neighbor or populated area I understand, but as I driving through Tenneesee on I-75 a cop popped an 18 wheeler that was passing us doing about 78'ish at the bottom of a hill. The driver had the truck's jake brake singing most of the way down the hill which you could hear for miles in the mountains. Scenario like that, the cop is definitely filling some type of quota...

renogaw

that's a tad different as well.
18 wheelers going 78 is scary.. what's the speed limit? 65 right?
i believe a jake brake is just taking the foot off the gas, he could have used his normal brakes as well. cops will pull over commercial trucks more often than not because they are so dangerous.

1journeyman

Do the States you all live in require you to go to court for a ticket?
Here we can pay it or plead No Contest and get Defensive Driving or Deferred through the mail.

ophiura

I don't know about the date issue. Let's say he fudged the date, what could you do to prove that you got it today? So you would potentially argue a technicality when in the end there is no disagreement that you were speeding.
So it may be worth asking...
But I'm still writing 2007 on stuff.
IMO, pay the fine. You were speeding.
I know cops are often maligned. My beef with them is that they are just never there when there is some blatant problem
like when I get tailgated and blown by driving through the school zone here.

renogaw

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
http:///forum/post/2455784
Do the States you all live in require you to go to court for a ticket?
Here we can pay it or plead No Contest and get Defensive Driving or Deferred through the mail.
CT only requires you to go to court if you contest it.

fenrir

Wow thanks for all the input on this stuff. I have the ability to plead no contest and take the drving course, which would mean my insurace would not be notified. And just so it's clarifed 315 is a highway not residential. I don't want to be seen as a crazy person lol.