Spiders, Bristle Stars and Corals.. Oh My!

bluebubbles

1)
I have some (quite a few) of those spider things that are hard and release a web. I understand they are good.
? is can they harm my soft corals with thier web????
2)
I have noticed about 3 or 4 (that I can see) Bristle Stars, very small and white.
? they are good, right?

michaeltx

1)
I have some (quite a few) of those spider things that are hard and release a web. I understand they are good.
? is can they harm my soft corals with thier web????
NOPE wont harm a thing very good things to have.
2)
I have noticed about 3 or 4 (that I can see) Bristle Stars, very small and white.
? they are good, right?
probably not bristle stars but asternia stars which are good aswell there is one species that isnt that common that will eat soft corals but hey are rarly seen.
Mike

mushroomss

Question one=Yes the webs can irritate corals.If you would like you can break off the tube and move it elsewhere or discard it.
QuestionTwo=Yes these are mini brittlestars a very benefical part of your tank.They clean up any food left over and keep the tank clean.

michaeltx

yes but complete opposite of what you said LOL
the muscous webs will not harm corals the may close up sometimes when the web is out but wont harm it.
mini brittles are not normally white but a smaller common star is the asterina star.
Mike

reefreak29

the webs are comeing from vermatid snail if you wanted to do a search, they collect food in there stringy web and reel it in pretty cool imo. not harmful but in abundance could be harmfull to corals . and the white mini brittles are very benaficial

shrimpi

vermitid snails dont exactly 'harm' anything but they can IRRITATE corals especially soft and LPS corals. Overall, the spider webs get nasty as the snail grows, and can look pretty nasty when it gets all tangled up in the corals, plants, and LR on a daily basis.
Heres a pic of a vermitid for better ID, sorry its big

-Jessica/Shrimpi

ophiura

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
hum I knew there was a white version I just didnt think it was tha common.
Thanks ophiura.
Mike
Oh yes, in fact possibly one of the most ubiquitous animals in the world. Amphipholis squamata, the self fertilizing hermaphrodite that broods its offspring, and is found from the tropics to polar seas, from the intertidal to deep sea...and many places in between (including our tanks)!.

mushroomss

you can say whatever you like but ''irritating'' corals is stressing them.This is bad for the animal and can lead to death.Bottom line is try not to place corals near these.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by ophiura
Oh yes, in fact possibly one of the most ubiquitous animals in the world. Amphipholis squamata, the self fertilizing hermaphrodite that broods its offspring, and is found from the tropics to polar seas, from the intertidal to deep sea...and many places in between (including our tanks)!.

kewl learn something new everyday! LOL
mushroomss I agree anything that irratates a coral can stress it but I have always had these in my tanks near corals without a problem. I have never lost a coral due to vermitid snails FWIW
Mike

jhov2324

I had one of those snails on a clam...it was very annoying....the clam was becoming stressed out as well due to this snails web...and the web extended to my other lps...you have to becareful when removing this animal...as you try to break it off its shell is very sharp and you may cut urself...what i did was superglued the opening so the snail wudnt be able to come out...:(

bluebubbles

wow
great picture!! thats what I have!
After reading everyones comments I think its just a good idea to do the supper glue thing
Do you think thats a good idea??
I did touch one to see if I could pick it off .... forget'a'bout it!

michaeltx

they are filter feeders and strain the tanks water as it goes by.
IMO and many others they are not harmful I have had them in all my tanks and wouldnt do anything to get rid of them myself.
Mike