Spidey's 75g RR build

spiderwoman

We are ready to pull the trigger and get this thing started. I will post pics tonight.
- 75g Perfecto reef-ready glass tank (Bought used, it was still in bubble wrap when we picked it up)
- Amiracle wet/dry 24x14x14 with bioballs + filterpad
- H&S 110-F2000 skimmer
- Eheim 1262 pump
- 80lbs Arag-Alive Reef Sand - Special Grade (coming in on Thursday)
- not sure how much LR I'll be putting in. I currently have 210lb cured LR, 90lb aquacultured LR and 100+lb base rock in the house. Then the extra 90lb of dry coming in with our reef club's group order
I think that should get us started. Hubby has started plumbing and things are looking good so far. There's about 10g of water in the tank right now and no leaks so far from the bottom fittings.
Almost forgot lighting
- Coralife Aqualight Fixture PRO HQI 48 Inch 150 Watt
I'm switching the existing bulbs with
- 2x15,000K XM DE HQI Double Ended - 150W
- 2x96W PC / CF Actinic 03, 34" -Square Pin Base

scotts

Woo Hoo!
Take lots of pictures. Also take a note of any choice swear words your hubby uses.

spiderwoman

Hehe he has been fairly quiet, but I've heard fairly loud bangs and bumps behind the couch. I've just kept working and not said anything

spiderwoman

Here come the first pics
New tank with new stand

Eheim 1262 pump and H&S 110-F2000 skimmer
(FW tank showing in the left corner)

Pumbing started (bioballs have now been removed!)

More supplies...

Testing for initial leaks

scotts

Looks Great! Hubby is doing a good plumbing job. One question, are those round silver things lights? If so what type are they?

spiderwoman

Those lights are a 120V 6-light Xenon accent kit 3-lvel touch dimmer by UtiliTech. I believe he got those from Lowes. He did add another 6 lights last night. Those are his work lights when ever he has to go *under the deck* :)

spiderwoman

Freshwater test is now done and everything worked good. The pump is extremely quiet, I'm really happy we paid a little extra but got a quiet pump. Monday we'll get the LR and LS in, setup lights and kickstart the new skimmer. From what I've heard from others using that skimmer is that it kicks b u t t compared to most others in the same price range and one had tested it with 2 CSS125's and it still produced more skimmate than the 2. I can't wait!!!

spiderwoman

One of the questions right now are whether or not to get a controller for the system. We are getting one for the 150 so might be OK with just the basic controller unit with ph and temp probes and use the one laptop connector and if the software application can't handle multiple tanks, then I'll just put the program on 2 laptops and run that way. It might be helpful to get alerts if the temp spikes for what ever reason.

spiderwoman

Tomorrow is the day when LS, LR and SW goes in. Hubby is coming home late tonight and tomorrow is his only day off in the next 2 weeks. SW is ready so all we need to do is pump out the FW from the tank, him finish the electrical connections and off we go.
I talked to the cabinet maker for our 150g tank on Friday and he'll be bringing in the stand sometime tomorrow afternoon. Going to be one busy day!!

spiderwoman

Finally an update:
- we switched the sump to ReefMaster by SeaLife Systems

Here is everything a week later
- 80lbs Arag-Alive Reef Sand - Special Grade #20
- about 100lb LR cured for 3 months, (another 70lb cured in the 55 that I'll probably move to the 150)
I haven't gotten a cycle, levels as of this morning
- ammonia 0
- nitrites 0
- nitrates maybe 2
- calcium 480
- Ph 8.3
- temp 80.1
visitors:
- 3 hermits
- 1 hitchhiker snail that was in with the cured rock
- Tomiyama Shrimp Goby with a Pistol Shrimp
This tank will be see-through between a hallway to our bedroom and livingroom. Pardon the reflections from TV. The 55g tank is still in place until I'm ready to move fish/coral from it to the new tank so you'll see it in the background some too.

reefmate75

nice lighting hood hehehe
looking great spiderwoman!!! i really like the stand that your tank has, and shessh you guys got the biggest sump that would fit huh lol

spiderwoman

Thanks guys. Right now all wiring is laying down, but as soon as hubby comes home in 9 days, he'll put up all the power strips inside the stand, put on the fake drawer draws and overall puts everything to their final place.

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2552857
what all do you plan on keeping in there?
Very good question... have not decided 100%, most likely a full or mixed reef. That leaves a question about the 150.. will that be a FOWLR, I doubt it because of the heavy duty sump/refu system coming for it would really need a reef.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2552864
Very good question... have not decided 100%, most likely a full or mixed reef. That leaves a question about the 150.. will that be a FOWLR, I doubt it because of the heavy duty sump/refu system coming for it would really need a reef.
Oh man, can't wait to get into school so I can see the picture updates ~ darn things won't download through dial-up
. In the meantime, let me just say, there is no such thing as too many reefs IMO. I've had as many as 6 going at anyone time, and everyone of them is distinctly different and unique in their own right! Looking forward to the pictures.