SPIN LIKE A TOP

porkypuffer

I GET HOME EARLY IN THE MORNING AND WHEN I TURN ON THE LIGHTS, MY PORCUPINE PUFFER IS HEAD UP, TAIL DOWN SPINNING AND THEN ROLLS TO ONE SIDE AND BOUNCES OFF OF THE LIVE ROCK/GLASS. THE FIRST TIME I SAW THIS I THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD, :eek: TILL I SAW HIS EYES MOVING AROUND. :rolleyes: DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A PUFFER THAT DOES THIS, OR IS MINE JUST GOOD AT ENTERTAINING HIM SELF?

skirk

It doesn't sound healthy to me. Does he eat if you try to feed him? Is he still doing this or was it short lived? Need a little more info.

i have seen this before, at my lfs, they had just got him in one a thursday, he seemed bloated to one side and he swam in the way he was chubby and they wouldnt sell him until monday, it didnt look healthy to me.

pufferlover

porky does it seem to be bloated as mentioned by dilight. If it is it could be it puffed and has not expelled all the air or water yet. I have never seen that action in a pork so I would be somewhat concerned until it returns to normal or shows some sign as to what is wrong. Is it showing interest in food or not?.

porkypuffer

NOT PUFFED AND EATS LIKE A PIG. THE ONLY TIMES THAT I'VE SEEN HIM DO THE SPIN IS WHEN IT'S COMPLETELY DARK AND I TURN ON THE KITCHEN LIGHT WHICH LIGHTS UP THE TANK A LITTLE. HE ONLY SPINS JUST LONG ENOUGH TO SETTLE TO THE BOTTOM. HE'S BLIND IN ONE EYE, I WONDER IF HE'S TRYING TO SEE ALL AROUND HIMSELF WHEN THE LIGHT COMES ON.

pufferlover

Ah! I think you have it. As you may remember I have a stars and stripes baby that is blind in one eye, and altho I have never seen it do that it does spin a bit when I feed to get its good eye on the food. I think you answered your own question in the end good job.

otto13

dont listen to any of them.... sorry guys.
your puffer has inhaled H2O, air. some puffers can not get rid of oxygen once they inhale it. it happens when they puff or go after food. these puffers are almost doomed to die if it happens on a regular basis. monitor your fish, see if it happens again. if it becomes regular, either your fish is top feeding too much or you are netting your fish and moving it too much. dlight, three or four messages above me may be correct. some puffers have a side stomach that doesnt allow them to release air properly.
good luck
otto
[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: otto13 ]

pufferlover

otto; not to offend you but that was mentioned as a possibility, and Porky responded it did not seem bloated so we dismissed it since if it had air trapped it would be able to be noticed by the Puffs size.