Spitting out food?

yamaha16bw

Hi there, Well I have a tank with some Clowns and a Royal gramma. Im not really worried about them just wondering what it means. When I feed them they do eat but some pieces of food the spit back out, almost like they dont like it. Its with everything too, Flakes, Brine. The Royal gramma doesnt have this problem, only the clowns.
Thanks

gregvabch

my yellow tail damsel does it, think he just likes playing with his food. some stuff fish don't like to eat though, just like me and you. my GSM's don't do that though. they're pigs. are they sucking it in, spitting it out, then eating it? or sucking it in, spitting it out and not eating it?

yamaha16bw

Like they will suck it in then spit it out and them on some pieces of food they just swallow it. Its weird if you ask me. At least they are eating they just must not like the taste of all the stuff i feed them.
Thanks

belothsurf

My clowns do the same thing. Mine spit it out, re-eat it, spit it out, re-eat it...and so on. Maybe they are somehow related to cows????:thinking:

chinawoods

:yes: my clowns do that too!! I think they are very picky about their food. I found out that if I feed them too big a piece they don't like it. BTW they hate green veggie stuff, I start feeding them small pellets (I have to grind them even smaller), and they are eating fine since!!:happyfish

ka0z4allu

I agree with china my clowns do the same thing. They are very picky eaters. Mine will eat something one day and then not the next. Also They really seem to go after the smallest peices of food they can find. I feed mine newly hatched brine shrimp once a week and they devour them! I use frozen adult brine shrimp and they will only eat specific ones (I don't know what the difference is to them). Mine seem to take small pellet food pretty well also.:happyfish

ka0z4allu

Originally posted by belothsurf
My clowns do the same thing. Mine spit it out, re-eat it, spit it out, re-eat it...and so on. Maybe they are somehow related to cows????:thinking:

I was born in Mobile "Roll Tide"

dcr

My clown inhales flake food, brine shrimp and raw shrimp like it is his last meal. I tried brine pellets and the clown watches them drift by with no interest. All clowns are different, I guess.

cprdnick

It also may be a form of breaking down the food to make it easier to take in. My Ocellaris will do this and then suck it back in. When he does this it looks the flakes appear to be softer. Just a thought.
Clint