splash1914

dave857

Hi Splash,
I have a few Q's regarding the differences between Leopards and Smoothhounds if you don't mind. I noticed that you have had both. I have had many leopards over the years, but never a smoothy.
What I do know is that full grown, the leopard shark will grow to almost double the lenght of the smoothound. My first question is will the smoothhound grow at a slower rate from babies to say 2 year old sharks. Basically, if you put both in your tank at same time, after two years will they be same size, or will the leopard be much larger?
Also, are there any other charicterstic differences between the two?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Dave

splash1914

I prefer the leopard shark hands down to the smoothound. My leopards past and present get "thick" and look more like a real shark that the smoothounds did. All the smoothounds I have seen are thin and long, whereas my leopards are short and stocky. I only had my smoothounds for a short time untill I sold them because my bioload was getting to be to much. I knew when I bought them I shouldnt, but I never listen to myself! My buddy has an aquarium mainance business so I sold the smoothounds to him. I have been lucky and havent had any of my leopards die on me. (well one did, my green moray ate him, I still get mad thinking about that) Sorry I couldnt answer you question about the growth rates.

dave857

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yea, I also prefer Leopards, and have never looked into smoothhounds.. Recently a friend told me that smoothhounds grow much much slower and that they will stay at a small size for many more years (this peaked my interest). They also are supposed to be more active, swim faster. The ones I have seen are really jumpy and hyper, not as graceful as leopards.
dave