Splitting an anemone

calaxa

Feeding everyday would be agressive. I think you'll find that he will probably toss the food if you feed that often. I used to feed my sebae every other day. He coughed up a few pieces so I stopped doing that. Other times, he would shrivel up so the food would float away (shrimp molted a few times from eating his leftovers). His doubling in size within a month also was a good reason for me to stop.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by calaxa
http:///forum/post/2797699
Feeding everyday would be agressive. I think you'll find that he will probably toss the food if you feed that often. I used to feed my sebae every other day. He coughed up a few pieces so I stopped doing that. Other times, he would shrivel up so the food would float away (shrimp molted a few times from eating his leftovers). His doubling in size within a month also was a good reason for me to stop.
The goal of the OP is to get the anemone to split. In perfect conditions and environment an anemone may not split for many years. Stressing the animal is a proven way to induce a split. The most successful way of stressing the animal with minimal impact on its health long term is to over feed it. It very well may reject the food, I guess thats something the OP would need to contend with if it happens.

mlr492

Yes, I do want it to split. Right now it just looks confused. I can't tell if it's splitting or dying. It is now back to normal except not inflated, and it's got a giant hole in the foot.
I don't know if I should keep feeding it or not. I can't tell if it's healthy anymore, or what it was doing.

perfectdark

If it has started to bud I would stop everything until it is finished, no more feedings and keep up on water changes. JMO

mlr492

I started the feeding after it started budding. I read on that karens rose anemones or something that her anemone started budding and it never split. Just has 2 heads now

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mlr492
http:///forum/post/2797839
I started the feeding after it started budding. I read on that karens rose anemones or something that her anemone started budding and it never split. Just has 2 heads now
Thats very possible however once it has started it would be better to observe it for a bit. See what its intentions are, the goal isnt to stress them to death but just enough to where they want to split. If in a few days it looks healthy is inflating and the bud is not changing, then start to feed again. This make take some finesse as no 2 anemone are going to react the same.

mlr492

It looks like it's back to normal now. Fully out and inflated. The only difference is it has pointed it's mini nem towards the light, and the flat base where the mouth is is much larger.

becky913

That must be what has happened. I have what appears to be a baby anenome. The main one is about the size of a dinner plate when he is open.

huggie

when you see the mouth of your anemone become long,an it puts part of its foot on two rocks so it can pull itself apart this is a sign it is getting to split.

scuba diva

Igot 3 from a girl that was going to college and all together I have ended up with 16total! Gorgeous golden/green with hot pink bubble tips! I have given away all but 3, and I have 5 at the moment! I have been told to set up my one anemone nursery! They start to pull oposite directions. Half goes up the rock, half stays put. They rip right down the through the mouth. They stay de-flated for a day or so and them fill up and begin eating again. If you have clowns in them, they beat them to death in attempt to get them to fill back up. I even had a sebae split 2 times. Water is perfect! No signs of stress from anyone else in the 5 starfish resort!

mlr492

Your all lucky. Mine is back to normal. I want it to split :( I've made it as miserable as possible. I think he's doing this to spite me

quil

How big to LTAs normally get before they split? I've got one that is about the size of a large dinner plate in my 120g right now, and I'm dying for it to split so it won't take up so much freaking room.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Quil
http:///forum/post/2799548
How big to LTAs normally get before they split? I've got one that is about the size of a large dinner plate in my 120g right now, and I'm dying for it to split so it won't take up so much freaking room.
There is not one known case of an LTA splitting in captivity... you would be the first if it were to happen. Sorry for the bad news.

shrimpi

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2799549
There is not one known case of an LTA splitting in captivity... you would be the first if it were to happen. Sorry for the bad news.
really? I didnt know that! I guess you always assume.. (first mistake) but I didnt know that LTAs wont split.
Thanks for the fact.

Jess

mlr492

The BTA is back to perfect health, acting just normal. I am going to start feeding again. Here is it now. Took these last night.

One thing I have noticed about it though is that the tentacles on the left side of the nem around about 2-3 inches long, and on the right side, the longest is half an inch. Is that normal and just weird, or unhealthy? It doesn't look like anyone ate at it or anything, it's always been that way

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2801257
really? I didnt know that! I guess you always assume.. (first mistake) but I didnt know that LTAs wont split.
Thanks for the fact.

Jess
Anytime...

Originally Posted by mlr492

http:///forum/post/2801675
The BTA is back to perfect health, acting just normal. I am going to start feeding again. Here is it now. Took these last night.
One thing I have noticed about it though is that the tentacles on the left side of the nem around about 2-3 inches long, and on the right side, the longest is half an inch. Is that normal and just weird, or unhealthy? It doesn't look like anyone ate at it or anything, it's always been that way
Nothing to worry about... there is no rhyme or reason to why their tentacles do what they do..