splitting anemone

billyv

The other day while cleaning and rearranging my tank, my buddy, I won't mention any names.....somalwon'tbeembarrassed.......anyway, my buddy dropped a large piece of rock on my anemone that was anchored on another piece of rock. The next day I had two anemones. Then a few hours later, I have three. Is this a survival mechanism to trauma? Is it in bad shape? Should I take them out? Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what happened to the "new" anemones? I don't want to leave them in and destroy my water quality if they are going to die, but if this is somewhat normal (considering it got crushed), I won't worry too much and just keep an eye on them.

kelly

BillyV,
I am sure mal is greatful that you did not mention his name, but sometimes accidents happen, this is how we ended up with rubber tires(by the accidental addition of sulphur).
I have never heard of this, but maybe it is a defense/survival mechanism. I would like to hear updates on the status of the new anenomes(it may be a interesting way to propogate anenomes). If they start to get slimy, it is most likely that they are dying. If they start to stink, they are gone. Keep checking to see if they are "sticky" if so, they are most likely doing well.
Wishing you the best of luck, and what kind of anenome was it?

ironreef

They can split from trauma. But i wouldn't recommending inducing it. They can also die. If they look open I would leave them. What kind are they?

billyv

UPDATE
I'm not real sure exactly what kind it is. When I bought it they had it listed as a "long tentacle." The tentacles aren't much longer than a sebae though. It is almost a transparent green with a slightly darker foot. It also has a glod hue on the tentacles. It's really cool.
All three are doing well. They have all healed and have good round discs. The have found good flow areas near a ph and have all fixed to rock. The tentacles are out and everything. Mal thinks I need to give him one in a few weeks since he "helped me by showing how to make more." What a friend... :p

kelly

BillyV,
Mal is correct, before he freely (or so I assume) gave of his time, you only had one, now you have 3. I am sure you would not have bought 2 more, so if you give him one, you will still have 1 more than you did before. I am glad to hear that all 3 are doing well.
Best wishes, and remember good friends are hard to come by.

mal

Hear that billy? I'm right, gimmie, gimmie, gimmie! hehe
Kelly, I forgot to tell you on the pagoda post, we get southdown here on the west coast. If worse comes to worse we can always ship you some, for a small finders fee of course. :D