splitting anemones

corbin1234

:confused: I have had my rose anemone for about three mounths now and I would really like to have it split. Is there any way to get the proses to happen?? oh and my maroon clown died a week ago, do I need a clown?? :confused: :confused:

plato

Originally posted by DoxBoi
You do need a clown to have a anemone. As for splitting I think when it happens it happens

I'm pretty sure that you do NOT need a clown for an anenome!

fishstix

Oh yes for it to split try to put by a higher current (flow of water-power head). What kind of lighting do you have? Is water quality good?

rbmount

With the proper conditions ex lighting,food etc. It will split when it wants to. I don't think you can rush nature. You don't need a clown even though it's cool to see them hosting in them. My maroon is a B!@$h when my hand gets anywhere near her home at feeding time. She came all the way across the tank one night and slapped the crap out of my hand protecting it.

T

thomas712

Using a powerhead might only convince it to move. About the only thing that I have found that works is to feed it a little more often, say twice a week should be enough.
Thomas

T

tizzo

Now that that has been brought up, Exactly how much is enough?? I feed my bubble-tip anemone twice or three times a week, which I'm pretty sure is o.k. But How much at one feeding? I've been giving him about 2 or 3 pieces of the frozen krill soaked in vitamins, but his tentacles stay long, like their reaching for food, so this last time, I fed him about 6 pieces, he seemed happier, but I don't want to over feed him. How do I know??? :notsure:

T

thomas712

For a BTA feeding three times a week is excess IMO, unless you truly have week lighting. Once a week would be fine. I have gone over a month without feeding mine (8) of them. They split and do really well.
3 times a week could lead to water problems, but it does not seem to me that you have been over feeding either as they have been small amounts.
If you like to feed 3 times a week and you are enjoying success at it then perhaps you could feed sparingly twice and once heavy during the week.
Thomas

T

tizzo

Thank you Thomas, I don't get that much of a kick watching him eat so I'll take your advice and feed him once a week... How many of those krill is considered enough, about 5? Or less?? They are the size of popcorn shrimp without the breading (and they don't taste as good either...j/k).

T

thomas712

My opinion is no more than 2 or 3 pieces that are no bigger than the size of a pencil eraser and smaller than that would be better. so if you have a couple of pieces that are about that size then cut them in half or thirds to make it easier on the anemone.
Smaller is more digestible.
I will give mine 3 to 6 pieces of mysis shrimp each.
Make your own chopped mash, and use a turkey baster to squirt it at them. Freeze the rest.
Thomas