Sponge growing over stuff

sterling

Should I be concerned about some sort of sponge that is starting to creep around and grow on alot of my LR? One 5" round piece of rock as it growing all over it and the sponge is actually growing on the side of the overflow that the rock is leaning against. This sponge looks like a creeping vine of some sort.

reefkprz

some sponges can encrust really fast and overgrow slower growing stuff such as corals. its not malicious but I would just be aware of it when your placing corals, keep it clear of your overflow vents. without knowing the species I cant tell you its exact habits. if its too thick on a rock you can remove the rock and scrub it off with a clean toothbrush or peel it off depending on the type. do this out side of your aquarium as any piece that breaks loose has the capability of growing into another sponge or recconnecting with another of its own type. you can also "air kill" sponges off rock just pull your piece of LR out that the sponge is on and let it sit in the air for a few minutes. "Air killing" will kill almost the entire sponge with the exception of the gemmules if that species creates gemmules.
Myself I love sponges and pretty much let them grow rampant. where ever they want.