Sponge questions

bseth90

Can anyone tell me their requirements? Was thinking about one, but just wanted to see if I could keep one. Thanks.

wanabesalt

i have about 4 sponges under power compacts at 96 watts they are doing real well i just feed them bio plankton they are about 6 to 8 inchs away from the light

bseth90

Ok...thanks. I've got a 90 with 550 watts vho lighting - some crocea clams, zoos, hammer, torch, shrooms, etc. Was just curious didn't know much about them. Always ask questions.....

shoreliner11

Many sponges do not do well in the aquarium. Try to stay away from the red ball sponges, as we don't usually have bacteria/plankton in the water to support their needs. Some sponges however will benefit from light. Many of the blue sponges will benefit from light. Sometimes the best sponges to get are the small hitchhiker sponges because they generally have the best survivability in our tank. Good luck.
Aaron

jobob

well i have a blue sponge in my 55gal. when i first got it i only had 220w pc on it. well first my damn cc star ate half, then it grew back in 2months. i got rid of him. then i got a linkia. well what do u knwo he started eating it to. (hes gone now too.) now i got about 6 little ones and one big one. lol i did have a little calcium problem(too high) and that thing grew so fast it was sick. about 2in in a month. lol. every red or orange one i seen was dieing. but when u get it(if u get one) dont let the lfs take it from the water. put the bag in the tank and try not to get air in it. the air gets clogged in there pores and staves them to death. so becareful. i did forget to do that when i switched my tank. so i swished it in the water trying to get the air from it. it worked hes still kickin.

bseth90

Thanks all. From your input I have decided to not do this. It was a red tree sponge kinda like your blue one. About six inches tall. Thanks I appreciate the advice. I think I will look for a blue one instead.