sponges & coraline

V

vince-1961

red sponge died. Orange sponge dying. Coraline on new rocks turned white. Why?
water testing shows:

[hr]
on 12-24-08

[hr]
on 1-14-09
Ammonia

[hr]

[hr]
pH

[hr]

[hr]
Salinity

[hr]

[hr]
1.023 by refractometer
nitrite

[hr]

[hr]
nitrate

[hr]

[hr]
15 (don't know why --- 4" DSB in DT)
dKH

[hr]
3.6 (high)

[hr]
3.6 (high)
calcium

[hr]

[hr]
No test kits for anything else.
The drop in calcium I understand, because I disconnected CA Reactor to see if 30 gallon (12%) water changes on a 250 gallon system every 4 or 5 days for the last five weeks would maintain the calcium. CA was above 500 and dKH (alk) was in normal range with CA reactor running. Am surprised to see the nitrates up given all these water changes, although last weekend I did remove all rock and re-aquascape which really stirred up the tank, including cleaning some leftover cyano buried under sand against front glass when I added sand months ago. My LFS doesn't keep large stocks of salt, so I've gone through several brands in the last 4 weeks - Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Oceanic, Coralife.
I got good water flow. Two Koralia 4s, plus a closed loop with two SCWDs and four outlets turning approx 1,750 GPH, plus the sump which is approx 1,000 GPH. Bioload of fish is approx. 25-30 inches of fish length and a ton of inverts, etc. Tank is five months mature.
red sponge alive last month
Attachment 217410
red sponge dead today (it's the gray blob) On a side note....that white coral skeleton to the right of the gray blob was a "rock" I picked up off the ground at "Costa Maya" (the name Carnival cruise lines gives to it's stopover in Mahajual, Mexico.)
Attachment 217411
Orange sponge alive last month
Attachment 217412
Orange sponge turning white today
Attachment 217415
Next post will show pics of coraline dying.

V

vince-1961

Attachment 217418
Attachment 217422
I forgot to mention that on all water changes, the water is heated to correct temperature (76) and well aerated for at least 24 hours before the water change. Am using RO water, of course.
Lighting is on timers. approx 1,000 watts via 8 hours of 10k main lights with actinics 2 hours before and after delivered via T5s. Moonlights on when the rest are off.

drtito

I have had my Live Rock for 6 months now and only small amouts of coraline have come out. Give it time and more time, then more time its a slow process. Also try to let things work out on there own.

V

vince-1961

Bump.
Will test water again this weekend. Still looking for answers re: death.

V

vince-1961

New parameters:
Ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 5
pH - 8.4
CA - 370 (CA Reactor has been re-started)
kH - 3.6
magnesium - 360 (just bought testing kit - have already started raising mag.)
Will post new pics when I can.

ibew

if your mag is that low you will never be able to keep cal and alk in check you need to test for phosphates if you show a reading at all you have a problem also your salinity should be at 1.025 or 1.026 for a reef
what type of water do you use
do you use a phosphate reactor
how much do you feed

ibew

also something is wrong you should replenish mag with water changes and alk and cal too instead of raising through buffers start doing water changes instead

V

vince-1961

I do 25-30 gallon water changes weekly. That's about 12% of total water volume.
Added Magnesium, so it's up to 1,500 now. ..or at least it was 2 days ago. Haven't tested calcium or Alk since last parameters posted.
RO water always.
No phosphate reactor (what is a phoshate reactor and why would I need one if I'm using RO water?)
I've finally got my green water (phytoplankton) production going good now, so I'm feeding regularly now as well.
EDIT: as for feeding, the answer is several three-finger pinches of pellets per day. It's all consumed by fish rapidly. What they miss, which isn't much, various inverts get.
2nd EDIT: plus occassional nori on a clip and some frozen mysis shrimp infrequently.