Sponges Deadly?

I Read Somewhere That Certain Sponges Can Be Deadly To Your Home Aquarium..is This True? If So What Kind? I Can't Find Any More Additional Information. Thanks

renogaw

are you sure you're not reading about kitchen sponges? you never want to use them (they are infused with antibacterial products).
other than that, i've not heard of any SPONGE being deadly. Tunicates yes, but not sponges.

big

Do not know about the term deadly but some are very poisonous.Yes there are a bunch in the wild. The first one that comes to mind is the "Fire Sponge"
This is what happens when one retires and has nothing to do but read about this Reef stuff all the time.... I think it is this OCD most of us have if we own a reef tank!!

Warren

scopus tang

Many sponges also release toxic chemicals into the tank when they die poisoning the system and causing it to crash
(one of the many reasons they are not recommended for beginners).

tvan

Anything that dies in your tank can cause an ammonia spike and be harmful to tank. Therefor if it dies remove it as quickly as possible. Most (live)sponges enter our tanks in live rock. And filter our water. Other types sold require special care....ie they clog with detritus and need low currents. Or low light. (live)Sponges are a healthy part of processing some of the wastes your water and a lot of reefers don't even realize they are there .
IMO
Tvan

teen

as long as you dont expose them to air and they're not in strong direct light where they can get burned or have algae grow on them, they should be pretty hardy.