Sponges on liverock

thauro77

Hello:
I got sponges growing on my live rock. They are pink in color and I was told that these were harmless to the tank and that the only thing they will do to to tank was to add filtration. But know I am getting them growing into the branches of my candy coral and in between of my Zoo's. Also, I have notice that a "bush like" sort of growth its growing on the live rock. They look like hard hair and they are reddish in color. There is also this type of algea, like a film or something that its grwoing on the sand, the live rock and on the surface of the refugium. Is that normal, becopuse it looks bad and smell like %^*&%!! Can anyone please help? I added some pictures. Please help!!!!

big

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3082271
The first 3 pictures are hair algae with diatoms and the 4th picture is sponge.
Looks like this to me too.
First how much flow do you have.??It looks like there are dead areas in your flow........Also do you use RO-DI water. The diatoms may be from your water source feeding the little buggers.
From just seeing the shots increasing flow and cutting back on lighting long enough to slow or starve the Hair may be the first thing s I would try.
Also to answer the question about a sponge overtaking a coral. It is very unlikely . I have had a large white one growing around the stalks and up to the heads on a Frogspawn for years now with no adverse issues arising from the contact. Here is a shot from a while back showing the sponge in contact with the Frogspawn.............