Sponges VS Tang

wizard

I want to keep deepwater inverts in my tank and yet I want a tang as well.....will it be a total disaster if i have him, sponges and dusters in there? I know he will most likely pick at them but if i feed him enough, will it be ok.....i'm asking because i read somewhere that sponges will kill with poison if they are bothered....is that true with all sponges?

demosthenes

I don't know the veracity of the use of poisons and toxins by sponges, but it wouldn't suprise me. As for the tang, they constantly graze throughout the day on algae, sponges, and the like, and thus, no matter how much you feed it, it seems to me it would not work out.

a_fender69

Never heard, seen, or read about tangs eating sponges. But Murphys law could prove me and others wrong. Tangs mostly eat algeas and other vegatation.

jja

I don't have any sponges but my sailfin killed both featherdusters in about 1-2 days. I put them in about 3 months apart with the same results. He doesn't seem to bother anything else but for some reason he goes right for the featherdusters.

wizard

Sorry for the long wait on my reply....holiday vacation....Happy Holidays.....well it's a 55 gallon.....and i read that they eat on sponges in Feners: Conscious Marine Aquarist. Is that too small to keep some sponges???? Or a tang (small)???? ALso, what about an angle? Flame in particular.....will they eat my feathers or sponges? Thanks

wizard

Sammystingray
Ok....well that makes me feel much better....:( that's really the only book i've read through this whole thing.....that and this board and some other sites.....well, you say that sponges need help....what kind of help, from what? And also, what book would you recommend for a beginner like me? (and i mean something that doesn't focus on only the set up.....i'm talking about fish and inverts kind of book). Please and thank you