SPONGES

vkesu

:confused: I have noticed that we have small white/creme colored puff balls on the lr. I noticed this more so when we rearranged the lr after having to move it. I noticed last night small tenticles comming out of these feeding? Do sponges have tenticles like this? I'v got a couple dozen or so through out the tank. I think previously behind or in completely shaded area.

got krabs

VkeSu,
I've recently noticed the same thing in my tank :they are about the size of a styrofoam granual( if you were to tear apart a piece of a styrofoam cooler)if it is the same. Mine have a little hole in it, but my guess is, it's a copapod egg casing. Reason why i believe this is where i found mine: in my over flow where i keep a piece of lr w/some macro algae on it for the 50 or so copapods to eat and sleep on in there
If anyone has any other ideas please post'em

vkesu

:confused: These in my tank are the size of the end of my thumb. Dome shaped to the rock? I wish they were copepods. I had a mandrin for 4 years, and he started getting thin last year, then my tank got to hot and he died. I'd love to have another one. I'm actually waiting it out for my copepods to re-establish themselves. :D

vkesu

But they don't seem to move anywhere, and I have a couple of dozen...noticed when the shaded area of rock was turned over (prefer shade). Do I suck these things out or see what happens? I tried to get a picture, but my sailfin and tangs get right in the way EVERY TIME , I'll try later. :D

merman

Hey! I got the same thing I think.
Mine are kinda a grey, faint purple. Dome like w/ a opening on top, and these little legs just hangout. The "sponges?" are kind of clumped together. I wish I knew what they were. I'll try to get a pic too.

vkesu

I think I have a good photo, if I just knew how to post it here! :rolleyes: OK...I'm not the brains of the family...just the typist. :D

harris

VKESUyou are correct they are sponges. The colored things that look like egg casings are sponges. They are nothing to worry about.
As for the tentacles that come out, I think that there are just some of those worm things (I forgot the name) in or around the sponges, but they are most likely two different organisms. That tentacle should come out at night and scavenge for food. Either way they are ok to have in a reef tank.

bluegothgurl

Is this what you're talking about? I don't see "tentacles" on mine.. just domes sitting there.. So this is a sponge? Thanks :)

HA HA HA.. didn't realize this post is 10 years old... lol... maybe someone can help me now? :)