sponges

glinton

Well, I scored a great deal today. The local university here in town has a marine tank. I ran into the professor today and he is going to give me some invertebrates for free!! Nice. He is also going to help me seed my sandbed, he has a ton of worms all over the place!! Plus, he is going to trade me a live rock with TONS of coralline algae for one of my bare rocks. The rock he is going to give me has a sponge on it. It is yellow and round. Are sponges okay to have in your tank? I think I have heard that they are not good. Any comments?

ryebread

Man! That is one heck of a deal. Sound great, I don't think that you should have any problems with a sponge in the tank. I have a couple of yellow and orange ones on some of my rock without any problems. Not sure if I should be watching for anything though.

H

hurley

Ya you scored. Sometimes it pays to be in the right place at the right time. Anyways most yellow sponges need good water flow. From your discription it sounds like you have a ball or moon sponge. They are a filter feeder & have a long life span, & are very reef safe. :D

glinton

Yep. He is a biologist, which should make for some good conversation too!
Thanks for the advice. I am going to get some worms in about a week, or after my cycle is done. Then I will get the rock and invertebrates about a month or so later. He is doing the trade b/c his tank is growing coralline algae so quick he can repopulate the rock rather quickly. That would be nice!!