Spots on tank

50cent

This is my first saltwater tank. I have a 30 gal tank that I started in January. I have the following fish: 2 clown, sailfin tang, pajama cardinal, squirrelfish and a blue hippo tang. I also have live rock in the tank. I am starting to see a lot of things (some are fuzzy almost mold like, some look like plants, and some even look like jellyfish like) growing out of the live rock. In addition, I’m getting a lot of white spots on the tank. Looking closely they almost have a swirl appearance, but are very small. Any idea what these spots can be

nick76

possibly a type of sessile worm or snail. The other "jellyfish thing" could be hydroids. Gonna need pictures to get a postitve ID.

allterr

The white spots on your glass are most likely Spirorbidae Worms. From what I gather they are quite harmless filter feeders.

spanko

Sailfin Tang can get to 16"
Blue Tang can get to 14"
Squirrelfish can get to 7"
Pajama Cardinal can get to 4".
Clownfish can get to 4".
Seems like a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. As fish become stressed they are more suseptible to disease. Tangs especially the blue hippo are Ich magnets. IMO you are flirting with disaster with the bio load that you have in your tank.
The things you are seeing appear on your rocks and glass are normal and show that your tank is maturing nicely.

kanicky

Originally Posted by spanko
Sailfin Tang can get to 16"
Blue Tang can get to 14"
Squirrelfish can get to 7"
Pajama Cardinal can get to 4".
Clownfish can get to 4".
Seems like a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. As fish become stressed they are more suseptible to disease. Tangs especially the blue hippo are Ich magnets. IMO you are flirting with disaster with the bio load that you have in your tank.
The things you are seeing appear on your rocks and glass are normal and show that your tank is maturing nicely.

If you look up the fish you have on this website or on others, you'll see that they grow to a rather large size, are very active, and need a lot of room to swim (Most people suggest nothing less than 75G.) Maybe you can return them to the fish store and get more suitable fish, or sell them. (Or hey- upgrade!)

50cent

I want to get rid of the 2 clown fish and the cardinal. Which other fish in my tank would you recommend that I get rid of to make room in my 30 gal tank?

snaredrum

My opinion is KEEP the 2 clown fish and the cardinal and get rid of the rest. They are more logical in that size tank then the others. I have a 29 gallon with 2 clown fish and a sixline and I'm looking at maybe 1 more small fish later on. Good Luck