spotted gar question

brandoncena

ok i just got a spotted gar today and now is in my tank and there is a heater in there so my question i should i have a heater in there or should i take it out???? and also what kind of fish can (should) i mix with a gar????
thanks in advance

jon321

The water really should be in the 70's so a heater wouldnt hurt, but may not be required if you have some reason you need to remove it. Gars will do fine with any large, semi-peaceful fish. I often see them with oscars, bichirs, silver arowana, shovelnose cats, clown knifefish, pacu, black sharks, or freshwater rays.
Jon

brandoncena

Originally Posted by Jon321
The water really should be in the 70's so a heater wouldnt hurt, but may not be required if you have some reason you need to remove it. Gars will do fine with any large, semi-peaceful fish. I often see them with oscars, bichirs, silver arowana, shovelnose cats, clown knifefish, pacu, black sharks, or freshwater rays.
Jon

yea i wanted to get a freshwater ray but i heard they are highly impossible to keep alive is this true or can u tell me the maintnence of the f/w ray??

keri

I think some are possible to maintain at home but I thiink they require a sand bottom.

jon321

Do not reqire a sand bottom, but are definitely challengeing to keep. In a larger tank where water quality fluctuations are minimal, they are no harder to keep than your average marine fish. Buy "Freshwater Rays" by Richard Ross for LOADS of information. The book should only be about $10 online or $15 in a bookstore.
Jon

sepulatian

FW rays do require a sand bottom. They have a very sensitive underbelly that will be scratched by gravel. You could use rounded stones but they eat worms, fresh blood or blackworms, or frozen. The worms will go under the gravel and the ray won't be able to get to them. As for your gar, what kind is it? Some get large and some stay smaller in size. Gars cannot go with aggressive fish that will nip at their pectoral, anal, and tail fins. Do not house them with other top swimmers. Bottow dwellers are best to keep with a gar. They may have large teeth, but they keep to their own. A ray or shovelnose would be great with a gar in a large tank.