spotted sweet lips does fine but then dies. help!

guzman825

i bought a spotted sweet lips and a niger trigger at lfs. i got home and then drip aclimated them both in the same bucket. about two hours later i put the niger trigger in the tank and looked at the spotted sweet lips and it was upside down. i got scared so i put it in the quarantine tank (it was still breathing). it died an hour after that.
did the niger trigger beat it up??
any suggestions on how it died?
thanks

tr1gger

It could of just been the shock from the acclimation. Even though its a drip it could still in theory be to much for them. Capture, transport home, acclimation all stress a fish.
Did he have any signs of bites or nibbles ?

guzman825

Originally Posted by tr1gger
http:///forum/post/2682659
It could of just been the shock from the acclimation. Even though its a drip it could still in theory be to much for them. Capture, transport home, acclimation all stress a fish.
Did he have any signs of bites or nibbles ?
no, he was just upside down and not making an effort to swim.

tr1gger

It's really hard to say. Could of been stress or water parameters or pH. Hard Telling. Sorry for the loss

Spotted/Oriental Sweetlips - Both of these fish that are commonly sold do terribly in aquariums. They ship very poorly and usually only live 6 to 8 months in the aquarium (at the absolute most) before passing away. Even if you get one to live to be an adult, this fish reaches 24 (spotted) and 34 (oriental) inches and are much too large for home aquariums.
from lion_crazz on fish to avoid.
Could be shock from acclimation like trigger said.

aquaknight

Probably a bit late, but any guesses as to how far the water temp in the bucket dropped? Over 2 hours, I could see it dropping pretty far, pretty quickly. If you're planning a water change some time soon, do a 'fake acclimation' in the bucket, put a thermometer in there is see how far it drops.
I fully agree that I wish sweetlips weren't in the hobby....

aquashelle

I have heard that sweetlips generally don't do very well in the home aquarium, but then again, alot of people have success stories with them
It may have been caught through stressfull means, or the water was just not perfect for the little guy. Sorry for your loss, i love those fish too

pumper

I had a spotted sweetlips too. LFS assholes talked me in to buying it when I was still a noob. Sweetlips did well for about 3 months, ate brine, mysis, flake, and ghost shrimp. He spent most of his time right beside my percula clown. A few days ago I noticed his behavior change, he wasn't as active mostly hanging out in my cave work, about three days later he was not swimming but being blown around by powerheads. I moved him to quarantine tank, floated and died a few hours later. poor guy, he was cool. I gave him a porcelen burial.

99slvr35th

They are definitely not the most hardy fish, I had one that was doing well but eventually was takken out by my clown trigger. Most likely you acclimated him too long in the bucket, temp and maybe oxygen played a factor.