spouges

nicky1.8t

ok my lfs has a yellow/orange spounge for 20 dollars i like how it looks but i dont know any thing about them , can some one please step in and educate me?

clarkiiboi

The best I can offer is my experience with my elephant ear sponge. Usually the same requirements for all sponges though (as far as I know). Keep out of direct light, find an overhang or cave to place in or near. Most, if not all, filter feed. Mine has clear tubes that come out. Pretty much all there is to it, well along with good water condidtions and such (has worked for me for over 6 months). Photoplankton wouldnt hurt, but I dont dose that yet. Do you know what kind it is? HTH. Here's a pic of mine awhile back. (its darker than the pic now)

dburr

1 more important thing, do not take it out of the water! That will cause air to get trapped in it and will die.

dave flood

The biggest one I have is an orange sponge it's doing great ,had it a couplle of years now. The only thing I can say is everything in my tank does well from what I believe is good lighting & regular water changes:)

clarkiiboi

Good point!!! Forgot that and thanks. DO NOT EXPOSE TO AIR. I hated to add some LFS water, but had to. Submerse bag opening and then take out of the bag.

spsfreak100

I think sponges are a hit and miss. The majority have touched air sometime during their trip from the ocean into your tank.
As far as care goes, strong current and low lighting is needed. Phosphates and Nitrates should be as low as possible. Any algal growth that's forming on the sponge should be removed immediatly. Algae will clog the pours, causing that area to die off due to soffocation. Dead areas will usually be tan or brown.
Graham