spray bar

trastnou1

ok i have another question. i have 2 good places in town to get tanks, equipment and everything to go inside. problem is they have 2 different approaches. so i am just trying to get all my eggs in a row before i leap. :)
one place has a spray bar which is cool in that you would never see a power head. they use a anti siphon tube so it won't go all over the floor if the power goes out. they also use a ( what i call a wet/dry) sump and skimmer. it has the filter and bio balls in it.
the other place uses the traditional returns with power heads inside the tank for current. they also use the eco system under the tank with the calurpa and mud in the middle of the sump( also has bio balls in it). calurpa has it's own lights which are on 24 hrs. they say this is a superior set up and they don't like the spray bar.
does the spray bar put out enough current? if i cover it with live rock will it still do ok? what do all of you have and like and why?
thanks, lori
:)

mr . salty

I actually have two spray bars on my setup.One is on the return from the sump.It goes across the back of the tank at the top with the holes offset to provide good surface aggitation and a slight downward current.I also have one at the bottom of the back,under the rock with a powerhead at each end.The holes on this one are pointing up through and behind the rock...This virtually eliminates any dead spots in and around my rock work..I highly reccomend the use of spraybars,and can't immagine anyone telling you otherwise.I also have two large Haggen powerheads for additional circulation...As for the "mud",I don't think this system is very effective unless it is used on a LARGE scale.By large I mean in a sump that is 55 gallons or bigger,with a very slow flow rate.

burnnspy

Check out my website, I have detailed info you may be interested in before making that decision.
BurnNSpy

q

Mr. Salty
Do you have anything to prevent a syphon back to the sump in case of a pump failure or power outage.
If so what options are there and what is the best to use.

mr . salty

On my top spray bar,the one from the return,There is a small(1/8")hole that is drilled about 1/4" below the water level.When the return pump shuts off,the reverse syphon is broken when the water level in the tank reaches this hole...This is the best/easiest method to avoid flooding the sump.There are special valves that you can buy,but they have been known to stick open when needed most...The "hole" will stay open because return water is constantly passing out of it till the reverse suction begins...This has NEVER failed me...

misty

Spray bar??? Arg...another piece of equipment to research...this is the first time I've heard of a spray bar!
Although, if they can provide the necessary water movement without the heat output of powerheads, might have to look into it for next summer.
Burn, I checked your website and only found the GPH figures for powerheads.
Anyone have a quick summary for me? Thanks!

mr . salty

A spray bar is a piece of tubing that spans the length of the tank.Water is pumped into one end of the bar,the other end is plugged off...There are a series of small holes that let the water out.These holes can be positioned to "spray" the water in more than one direction...They are most widly used on the sump returns,and aimed to provide good surface aggitation...