Spraybar plumbing question...

peanut1181

Hello everyone,
I have a drilled tank and the return is just a straight pipe with a 90 degree elbow over the overflow wall and an attached spraybar. The spraybar is just 1/2 inch PVC with a couple of T joints in it with three loc-line(i think that's what they are called) nozzles spraying just under the surface of the water. The last time the power went out my spraybar and return began to act as a siphon and flooded water into my sump and overflowed the thing. It wasn't a lot b/c the nozzles are only underwater a little bit, but it was enough to create quite a mess. Since a lot of you have a similar setup I was hoping you could suggest a quick and easy fix to this problem other than moving the nozzles above-water. Thanks for the help everyone.
Peanut1181

thangbom

hum... kinda suck.. but anyhow.. i thnk the easyiest way is to raise your spraybar up higher.. just enough so then when power go's out.. only a limited amout of water can be syphon back to sump.. (like a controled amout of water) so your sump wont overflow..

townsdp

I believe if you drill 3 tiny holes(one in back, 2 on either side) of the pipe below the elbow about 1/2" to 3/4" below surface, it would break siphon. just an idea.

thangbom

yes it will but it will also shoot water out of it.. for the spraybar is probaly pressurised w/water..so guess u can drill a hole where u would want water to spray?

acrylic51

Originally posted by townsdp
I believe if you drill 3 tiny holes(one in back, 2 on either side) of the pipe below the elbow about 1/2" to 3/4" below surface, it would break siphon. just an idea.

Townsdp has the right idea.... You need to drill siphon holes just below the water line... They will not blow out water like you think.. You will get some flow of water from there, but nothing noticeable.... Once the power goes out the water will only drain to the level of those holes you drilled and break the siphon.... HTH:)

dr reef

Put a check valve on the return line. A swiss made one preferably!!! Look on this site this should give you some ideas and more loc line parts.www.modularhose.com (I think I can post this since SWF.com doesn't offer it.)

peanut1181

thanks for the info everyone. i think i'll try putting some holes in it and see how that goes... if that doesn't work out then i'm definitely gonna try the check valve. thanks for the suggestions.
Peanut1181

acrylic51

Check valves are not security by any means... They tend to lead you to having false security... If you choose the check valve at least get the see thru kind that you can visually inspect at water change time to ensure it is properly functioning