SPREADing coraline

mmm33732

i know what you need for coraline to grow and i have everything in the specs and it has been growing great. however, its all mainly on a few rocks on one side of my tank. whats the best way to spread it over to all the other rocks in the fastest manner? i thought i remember reading that coraline grows from spores and you can spread these spores by scraping with a toothbrush or razor and using a powerhead to circulate the water without filtration. any truth to that? it would take longer for mine to naturally spread too since most of my rocks don't touch. they are arranged in 5 large pillars or rock. if that method is valid, are there any others? thoughts?

teen

idk what type of lights your running, but coraline wont grow as fast under intense lighting. i run MH and coraline grows super fast in the shaded parts of my tank, but real slow where there is direct light.
i did notice that by scraping areas of my glass clean with a razor blade, the coraline does spread faster.

ogredawg

Originally Posted by teen
idk what type of lights your running, but coraline wont grow as fast under intense lighting. i run MH and coraline grows super fast in the shaded parts of my tank, but real slow where there is direct light.
i did notice that by scraping areas of my glass clean with a razor blade, the coraline does spread faster.
The opposite happens to me, no coralines on the shaded area. This is on 3 different tanks.

murph145

coraline just takes time it slowly grows and grows over time.... its nice on the rocks but gets kinda annoying on the glass after awhile since the maintenance to clean it up.... give it a good 6 months then u will see ur rocks should be covered nicely

cgj

Id have to say the areas that get hit directly by MH dont experience alot of coralline growth, but the shady areas do.

isistius

1. turn off your return
2. keep ph's running
3. brush existing coralline with tooth brush
4. turn on return after 2 hrs
you should see small spots or coralline everywhere w/in a few days
hth

teen

Originally Posted by ogredawg
The opposite happens to me, no coralines on the shaded area. This is on 3 different tanks.
what type of light are you running?

snaredrum

Originally Posted by Isistius
1. turn off your return
2. keep ph's running
3. brush existing coralline with tooth brush
4. turn on return after 2 hrs
you should see small spots or coralline everywhere w/in a few days
hth
I used the method a couple of months ago and it worked very well.