SPS (Acros) with Softies and LPS!???!

deucey

Hi, I just recently perchaced a small acropora frag. It seems to be doing well and the polyps are expaded all day and it seems to be over all healty! :D Now, my first question is that it has white tips on it and i have been told by the shop i bought it from that that is where it is growing....it seems logical but is that really how they grow? And secondly i have been told by someone else that i need to get rid of it b/c i have some soft corals in my tank and they will kill the acro.......is that true??.....Thanks and hope to hear somthing soon!

First off, what type of Acro do you have? Some of them do show white tips when they are growing, like the purples and blues. Most of the other (more common) Acros don't. In these cases, the white tips show tissue recession, or dying. Your lighting looks OK for the normal Acro types, but if it is a blue, purple, or bright green, you may have to place it at the very top. They need alot of light to grow and flourish. Also, what are your Calcium levels? They, most of the time, won't tolerate low Calcium levels, or Alkalinity levels. Pristine water parameters and strong lighting are the key to the jewels of the sea! ;) HTH

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have LPS and Soft corals in the same tank as my Acros. The only thing you have to watch , is placing the Acro too close to soft, or LPS corals that excrete toxins, or have extending tenticles (stingers). The Acros will die very rapidly, if they are too close to a stinging or toxic soft or LPS coral. Just keep a close eye on it, and if you notice any more whitening areas, move it QUICK!

deucey

Well my calcium level stays right on or alittle above 400ppm and my alk stays around 9dkh! I use C-Balance everyday and i dose it pretty hard....This particular acro is a brown color and does not have sharp tips as normal acros do it is more of a rounded tip, like a broad tip....and the area tha is white is right on the end or tips of each branch....i was told that that was from it growing in lenght and that new polyps will from in these white areas.....are you saying i have been had? I hope not!

<a href="http://www.reefjunkie.net/files/cats_paw.JPG" target="_blank">http://www.reefjunkie.net/files/cats_paw.JPG</a>
Is this the Acro you have. If so it is probably OK. Some of that type Acro will show white tips when they are growing. If your water parameters are OK then if it is dying, it should bounce back rather quickly. Most of the time, LFS holding tanks do not have the lighting or Calcium necessary to keep Acros. You need to get them as soon as they get in, to reduce the chances of them being on the downhill stroke when you get them.

deucey

That looks very similar to mine.....like i said it doesn't have the sharp points on it like most acros....and the tank it was in at the LFS had at least a 175w MH on it an it was like a 29g or so....and i donno how long he had them exactly but no more than 2 weeks.....i will have pick up soon .....my parameters were good last time i checked they were trates 0, trites 0, Ammonia 0, pH 8.4, dKH 9, and Calcium 400ppm...
aslo is 400ppm adiquate enough to keep acros?? thanks for your help....will get the pic soon!

Looking at your parameters, and lighting, you should do fine.. ;) Good luck with the new adventure! You'll love Acros! ;)

deucey

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/reefguy79/acro.html" target="_blank">HERE IS THE ACRO PIC!</a>
Okay here is a pic of my acro i donno exactly what kind of acro it is ......if anyone knows please enlighten me.....

deucey

10K where are ya....i posted the pic....or if anyone else knows anything special about this coral let me know....

wamp

Deucey,
That looks like growth to me. Even if it is not, It might come back to life after in your tank for a while.
Who told you to take softies out?

deucey

thanks wamp......well the first on that told me that was the new guy Dave at WOP here in town then the guy at the Aquarium Shop mentioned that having soft corals in the tank to can inhibit growth....i donno who to listen to....but the guy at WOP said that softies screw up you water and will kill SPS corals.....he says you need to run carbon to take the toxins out......but i use Chemi-pure anyway......so what do you think wamp was it a decent deal for $30?

Sorry man. Looks like it could be either. Probably growth though, considering there are no signs of tissue recession. You should be OK. Just sit back and watch it grow. Don't buy the "No softies" BS. I don't know many people who have only stoneys, and they have no problems, just as I don't. Just keep an eye on it for a few days, and see what happens (probably nothing). Good luck :)

wamp

They are full of crap at WOP.... thought you knew that?!!
Most people have a mix in their tanks. Never heard them complain about them.
You ever notice how sometimes up at WOP the employes talk to try to imprese people? I though the new guy was alright but he sounds like he learned everything he knows from the other on who he shares a name with....
It will be fine.. If not, you know where a good home is....

wamp

A very dark and misterious place. A place where algea grows fast and Fish are sentenced to death... In other words.. LFS...
I will not buy livestock from them. I usually go to Raleigh or Greensboro for that. I do get some dry goods (not many) from this place though. All crabs and inverts come from here.
At my lfs you get 1,000 diffrent answers to a simple question and if you ask it again you get 1,000 more wrong ones. The place thinks they are the best at everything and it only comes off as arrogence and that just annoys me to no end!
I told them to order me a Blastimusa Wellsi. They got a merletti and tried to convience me it was a Wellsi. I didn't get it and they got mad saying I ordered it so I HAVE to buy it. Needless to say it is still in their tank.
Just one example of many!

Souds like a few LFS's I know. Jack of all trades, Master of none. :D

Your frag looks like montipora digitata to me
The white tips seem to be new growth.
I have soft coral with SPS in my tank.
Soft corals can turn to chemical warfare but IME this only happens when stressed. Many who keep both togher use carbon and good skimming.

wamp

Not an acro at all.... Hmmm.... I thought Haupu was really knew his corals...
Thats ok Deucey, You can still keep him in your tank...

Good call Rendos! I missed it the first time, had to do a double take. :D