SPS bleaching but only where the light does not touch it. Worry or not?

wartooth1

So I got this orange digitata that has been in my tank for a few months and seems to be doing really well, but the other day I noticed that the back of it (where I've had it lean against some rock for stability) is completely bleached out. I'm guessing this is because the light cannot reach there. But, the front of it is happy.. polyps open and color is good... etc.
So the question I have would be is this an issue? Would it be a good idea to turn the coral around and let the white half get some light until color returns? Will that even work or should I just consider the back half of the coral dead?
I've also noticed that some color has been lost due to its own branches casting shadows on itself but the polyps in there still open during the day so I'm not really worried about that, but I am a little concerned with the back side that hasn't gotten any light since its against a rock.

btldreef

This can happen as a colony grows larger and light doesn't reach the base any longer. My birdsnest colonies all do this as well as my GARF Bonsai. When it see it occurring on frags that I'm trying to grow out, I do turn them to let the other side get light and monitor to make sure it doesn't start dying off on the good side, but on my colonies and let them be.

btldreef

This can happen as a colony grows larger and light doesn't reach the base any longer. My birdsnest colonies all do this as well as my GARF Bonsai. When it see it occurring on frags that I'm trying to grow out, I do turn them to let the other side get light and monitor to make sure it doesn't start dying off on the good side, but on my colonies and let them be.

snakeblitz33

I have found through research that people with metal halides have that problem more than those with t5s. Also, sometimes tissue recession is caused by not enough flow reaching the base. With additional flow, tissue recession usually stops and reverses because algae and detritus is not allowed to grow on those parts. Light and water flow like btld said.

wartooth1

Thanks for the assist guys! :)
I've moved the coral to a different spot that is in more direct light and where I think the flow might be better. The only downside with this new spot is that its a few inches lower than the old spot, but so far the polyps on the coral don't seem to be bothered by this.