sps coral lighting

discusking

can i keep orange montipora cap. with the lighting in a 12 gallon jbj nano cube dx? The lighting is two 24 watt 50/50 pc lamps.

shawnts106

only 25Watts of light on a 12 gallon nano? nope... you need at least 5 watts of light per gallon.. you only have 2wpg... you would need a 65 to 70 watts on that tank.. and that is way to much for a 12 gal... I would only keep it in a large reef system with approprite lighting!!!

tru conch

some folks keep them in nanos, but they have light upgrades.
i have the same nano myself. since its on the lower end of the "watts per gal" rule i keep it simple with ample softies; toadstool, finger leather, zoos, gsp, and a ton of xenia. there are plenty of other softies that will do fine under these lights. hth.

small time

yes montipora will stay alive but watch your water quality. you tank is shallow so pc will give good penitration. you have a total of 48 watts correct? 2 24watt pc
try out a orange cap it only costs between 10 and 20$

nm reef

Sure...it could be done....but.....
There is much more involved in keeping SPS type corals like montipora caps than "just" lighting. For one PC's simply don't provide the required intensity needed for them....plus there are other factors to consider. Water chemistry needs to be maintained and in a nano that can be a problem. Then there is growth rate to consider...if you establish conditions that would sustain a monti cap in short time it may become too large for such a small system.
Myself....if I had a nano...I'd stay with less demanding corals and consider developing a larger system for LPS and SPS types.:thinking: