Sps Corals

kynsee

I have a question I have 220watt pcs on my tank rite now but if I were to get some sps corals can I put them in the tank way at the top would my lights support them?

coralreefer

it depends on the type of sps, but typically sps can only be placed in tanks with metal halide and T5 lighting

nycbob

it will survive, but wont thrive even with good water condition. most monti will do fine with pc.

kynsee

thanks for the tip guys, im interested because theres a guy selling frags for 50 cents to $2.50 a frag local what a deal huh..

ags

I keep several different types of sps (acro, monti,pagoda, pavona) under 660 watts of vho. None are lower than the upper half of the tank. All have excellent coloration. One grows albeit very slowly. The rest seem to grow at an average rate. There are definitely some sps that require mh but the idea that sps can't be kept under vho or pc just isn't true.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by kynsee
http:///forum/post/2584706
thanks for the tip guys, im interested because theres a guy selling frags for 50 cents to $2.50 a frag local what a deal huh..
I would say it's worth the spare change to experiment.

kynsee

yea maybe i could try some I just didnt want anything dying in my tank my tank is a 75gallon tank about 20inches tall the frags hes selling is anywhere from .5 inch to 2.5 inch and anywhere from .50 to 2.50

N

nereef

if you can place the frags really high in the tank, maybe a couple inches below the water line, than give it a try since it's that cheap. btw, sps corals are really ugly if they don't get enough light.