sps experts help

tanksalot

I got this coral about a month ago, when I first got him he was all brown with blue tips. Now most of it is a light blue. Yesterday I noticed the tip of it was turning white, It got a little worse today. Any way I can save him. Sorry for the crappy pics but you should get the idea.

tanksalot

well apparently I am unable to post a pic of it. But it is an acro, unsure of exactly what kind. But it is under 250W metal halide with 220W of attinic blue. Cal 430 alk 9-9.5 all water conditions look normal.

golfish

Doesn't sound bad to me...just sounds like it might be changing color because of the different lighting.

tanksalot

the changing color part I am happy with, but on the tip it looks like the tissue is comming off. should it cut the tip where the tissue is basically melting off? Also it is a little worse today I am afraid that by tomorrow it will be dead. Is this RTN?

T

tizzo

If the tissue is definately coming off and you can dee the skeleton underneath, then it's either RTN or STN. Your only option would be to snap the infected part off and hope it won't spread anyway.

T

tizzo

You are sure that it's not just "sliming"?
With RTN or STN you can actually see the "skin" peeling off...
Like my first hard coral:rolleyes:

T

tizzo

Sorry to hear it. When mine did it, I tried to save what I could but the whole thing died anyway...
Good luck with yours!!

tanksalot

actually I did not. But why would it take a month to do this? This basically happened overnight. (that I could tell at least)

dburr

It may take time to slowly kill the flesh. I'm not saying this is the cause.
But if it was under some thing less than yours it could go into shock and slowly die. I would break the white end off and see if you could save it. I would also lower it in the tank and put some good flow on it.
HTH

tanksalot

This peice came from basically the same lighting 250W im not sure what kelvin he was running but it looked close. But anyway I tried breaking it off below the infected area but I still lost it. Maybe I waited to long to try and save it Im not sure. I wanna Believe that I got a bad piece and it was not me but maybe I’m not ready for SPS yet.