SPS in 2 Month Old Tank

euphoria

Guys,
Is it ok to put SPS corals in a 2 month old tank if the water parameters are steady and being checked daily?
Please let me know, cuz I saw a few nice acros that I really don't want to pass up on.
Thank You

smoney

SPS, require high lighting a great water quality. If this is a brand new tank and you just cycled everything, I would get like a soft coral like a toadstool, and see how that does first then I think it would be appropiate to get SPS. I am just saying, SPS are expensive, so I would wait until you are 100% sure that it is good water quality, I would wait one more month, at least.

jerth6932

Originally Posted by SMoney
SPS, require high lighting a great water quality. If this is a brand new tank and you just cycled everything, I would get like a soft coral like a toadstool, and see how that does first then I think it would be appropiate to get SPS. I am just saying, SPS are expensive, so I would wait until you are 100% sure that it is good water quality, I would wait one more month, at least.

well said!

murph145

well im switching my 100 over to my 180 in the next few weeks and im moving all my corals including sps directly to the new tank so im hoping all the LR and sand should prevent a cycle
what do u guys think?

smoney

I would probably transfer the liverock and sand first. leave it in there for a while, do a water change then transfer the corals. But if you dont I really think everything should be fine. Post some pics once your new tank is up. I love your lionfish reef, its tight! good luck with the new tank.

That is pretty much what I did when I moved. Do it in stages. Move the rock and sand, let sit for a few days, take your measurements. Move critters, crabs etc. Repeat testing. Then move fish (If possible), test, then corals. I would make the corals last as they are the most pickey.

euphoria

The tank cycled in one week at the beginning of january. Since then I've added a few corals that are thriving in it. As far as stability goes, I know it's stable. Mineral levels are also at appropriate levels and I check for them every day to make sure they are holding there.
So is there any reason why I still shouldn't add the sps?

bigmac

Originally Posted by EUPHORIA
Guys,
Is it ok to put SPS corals in a 2 month old tank if the water parameters are steady and being checked daily?

I'd wait 6 months to a year...seeing the ammonia and nitarte levels drop to zero doesn't mean a tank has cycled. SPS have a better chance in mature tanks.
I know your in So Cal..my advice is to not buy wild caughtprop colonies. I'd try and start with frags from fellow reefers who's tank are free from acro eating flat worms, if you can find em. I know a few people in OC and a local dealer in Upland that sells tank raised frags that are AEFW free.
Originally Posted by murph145

well im switching my 100 over to my 180 in the next few weeks and im moving all my corals including sps directly to the new tank so im hoping all the LR and sand should prevent a cycle
what do u guys think?
Murph,
Is there any way you can cycle the 180 for 6 months or longer?

ophiura

We check, what, 5 main parameters in a tank? There are so many more that we can't or don't check that could impact the "stability" of a tank. While some SPS may survive just fine, it is a concern to rush into keeping some of these animals, IMO. Patience is always key.....

smoney

Hey Euphoria, if you are in los angeles, you should check out this place in thousand oaks, they have some nice sps and hard corals. Its called Tat's Tropical Illusions or something like that. Im just letting you know, I would wait a little longer, I know its hard trust me, but its well worth it if you dont chance it. Wait, another month, then get a small frag and see how it does, then go from there.

J

jupoc911

you will be fine adding any coral to a tank as long as your water levels are stable and constant. Murph that is a real big jump up in size. More than likely everything will be ok. Why don't you try something like seachems stability for a week after you move everything? I have plumbed about 3 tanks in which people instantly through fish in after adding live sand and live rock and didnt even get a cycle. I know this is prob impssible as therre has to be some type of process going on but it did work. As long as you use the same water you should be ok. I did however read somewhere that your glass and sand bed produce more nitrifying bacteria than live rock. It may have even been from fenner or garf. I will try and find the article and post it.