SPS People Look Here

hypertek99

What do you feed your sps??? I just does DT's every mon, wed, and sat. Is that enough or should i does everyday???

bdhough

You could cut that back to once a week if you run into water quality problems. Thing is, sps require meaty foods. So you need zooplankton rather than phytoplankton which DT's is. You probably won't notice much of a difference if you stop dosing but the plankton is more than likely food for whatever micro organisms you have in your tank ie pods.
SPS corals only truely need halide lights to bring out their true colors. They can grow rather well under pc's but will not achieve their full color without the halides. Aside from the lights keep your calcium above 400 if not 450 and alk at 10+ and you should be good to go.

zanemoseley

ok I've also got a question, I feed my fish(clown, firefish) freeze dried cyclopeeze twice a day, I also dose DT's every other day, I only have 3 yuma's and 4 SPS frags, should I stop dosing DT's and just feed the cyclopeeze? The DT's are quite expensive as I go through a bottle in less than a month and they cost $13

attml

I feed mine Golden Pearls once a week. I always have the best polyp extension the night or two after feeding the golden pearls so I know that my SPS are at least grabbing it!

S

spsaddict

this is what i feed :)
As promised, here is my recipe for coral chow - with a bit of a preface.
I rarely have or use all of the ingredients listed, and I don't think it will make a difference over the long term. I also use this, or a variation of it, for my homemade fish food (I leave the fish food chunker and add various algae). Basically, I either use what is left over from the last round of food-making, or I go to a few stores and get whatever they might have at the time. I feed this to the tank at night, generally, and would add that for some of the ingredients, I have no idea if they have any specific role. Its just what I have done before. I have also changed a bit with some other foods now available (since I have written this last time)
I try to get a mix of particle sizes involved to accomodate not just all sizes of polyps, but also feed other inverts that filter feed.
Fresh seafood:
Some combination of the ingredients below and it makes up a relatively small percent of the total - maybe 10-20%?
shrimp (I squeeze the heads and usually use the "meat" in the fish food)
oysters - blend well and may have Vibriostatic properties
various other shellfish (mussels, clams, periwinkles, etc. - the bloodier, the better...live is great (shucking sucks but gives a good final product)
Fish roe (sometimes available at Asian markets)
Frozen foods
This makes up perhaps 20-30% of the mix - some are from an aquarium store, some from the grocer
Artemia - adult
Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp) (enriched, if possible)
Mysid shrimp
Sea urchin roe
Flying fish roe
Dried Aquarium Foods
this makes up the majority of my mix - probably 40%
Golden Pearls - all sizes available, but a majority of the smallest size
Cyclop-Eze
VibraGro
Powdered marine flake
Phytoplankton
makes up maybe 2% of mix or less?
Tahitian Blend (I use DT's seperately)
Supplements
makes up maybe 2-5% of mix?
Super Selco ( a big squeeze)
Sea Green Vitamin supplements - various brands, powdered, from Whole Foods market
I have also been known to add Echinacea capsules, the skins of colorful vegetables and fruits, various pigment complexes of carotenoids, etc. and/or antioxidants from Whole Foods market.
In terms of preparation, I puree the solid seaoods, mix in the frozen ingredients, soak the dry/powdered ingredients in the wet ingredients, combine them all together and let them sit for a few hours, and then freeze them into small flats in ziplocs in the freezer. I usually wind up with about 50.00 in foods per batch and make about a gallon or so of food that lasts a couple or more months.
it is eric b's coral mush

bdhough

As for the DT's i would dose with it no more than twice a week. I used to dose phytoplex which is kents dead phytoplankton and ever since i've stopped haven't really noticed much. I now use microvert every now and again. Feeding the fish daily and making sure some of the food gets smashed up into finer particles, ie squeezing, can make food enough for your corals. Like i said if you have unwanted algae problems or nitrate problems you are doing way to much of something and your first source can be the DT's or food. And as stated the main food source for the majority of corals is a good light source. I think doseing can help maintain a healthy micro life if anything. There are lots of things in your tank you don't see every day.

hypertek99

I also have clams and soft coral in the tank so should i just keep dosing the DT's like i have been. I'm not having any algae problem or breakouts. I was just asking if i should dose more for the sps corals since i bought some this week.