SPS polyp extension

crox

I would like to know what I don't see any polyps on my SPS? When I bought them they had plenty of polyps.

fishgeek01

I agree with the above statement. sps polyps are nearly extended 24 hours a day when they are provided with adequate flow and light. Even when the lights are off on my tank the poylps on my sps extend. They love lots and lots of flow. You darn near have to blow the poylps out of the skeleton for full expansion. Not a direct hit but putting a powerhead so that it flows over them will usually do the trick. This creats a rolling area behind them as the water is slowed down over the coral, and causes the polyps to almost pulse in the current (not in the sense of xenia) I would say more light and current should do it for you

kpk

Like Fishgeek said lots of flow and good light. Not to mention prestine water quality IE 0-5 trates, 0 trites, 0 ammonia, 350-460 CA, kh 7-10, mg around 1350. It doesn't have to be perfect to get some PE, but pretty close to it.
Tell us about your tank params etc. That way we can help you out. You may also may want to see if they are extended at night. If they are growing, have good color and extending at night I wouldn't worry about it. Nightime is when they feed anyways. Although daytime PE is cool looking it's not manditory to have good sps health.

crox

It looks like that at night they come out more. My parameters are all zero but I never checked the calcium level. I just bought a Pinpoint calcium monitor and I will use it tonight.

hurt

Originally Posted by Crox
Also what do you guys feed them?
Fish poop, cyclop-eeze, and oyster eggs. The trick is to feed a lot, yet remove a lot. It's a balancing act.
What is your turnover in your tank? I know you don't know your Ca level as of now, but I'd shoot for at least 400. I have decent PE during the day, but nothing like night.

teen

what type of fish are in the tank? many fish are known to nip at polyps and that will cause the coral to close up. check for polyp extension at night while the fish arent active.
ive heard of people not having polyp extension, but the coral continues to grow and not bleach, but you said it had PE at the lfs so i dont think thats the case. ive had sps that did not open up for a week or so after they were introduced to the tank, they may just need time to warm up to your tank.

volcom69

Sps poylps will come out more at night then during the day they extend at night to reach the food. Alot of sps will stay in most of the day or with minimal poylp extension some sps more then others, and look at night and i bet the polyps will be out then. Just make sure u have very high flow and light to keep them happy during the day or u might see bleaching or rtn.

hurt

That's perfect, as long as your PO4 and NO3 are 0, I wouldn't be worried about a thing.

crox

Originally Posted by MBX5
How long have they been in your tank? What size tank and what do you have for flow?

I had them for a 1.5 months. The tank is a 120. I have as a return pump a Sequence that pushes around 1,200 gph and two ph in the tank. One is about 750 gph and the other is around 300 gph.

crox

Originally Posted by Hurt
That's perfect, as long as your PO4 and NO3 are 0, I wouldn't be worried about a thing.

I do see the polyps at night when the light is off. They have grown quite a bite in the last month and a half.

hurt

I personally would buy a couple more large powerheads, but that's up to you. Right now your around ~19X turnover. To give you an idea, I run a ~56X. I personally think SPS should be kept in at least 40X. I assure you that you will notice a big difference in your SPS if you up your flow(both color and growth). Again, not trying to dictate anything, just offering a little advice.
HTH

mbx5

I have had a few SPS that didn't come out for months at day time. Night they did and all made it fine and now are out all the time. I would just give it time.

crox

Originally Posted by Hurt
I personally would buy a couple more large powerheads, but that's up to you. Right now your around ~19X turnover. To give you an idea, I run a ~56X. I personally think SPS should be kept in at least 40X. I assure you that you will notice a big difference in your SPS if you up your flow(both color and growth). Again, not trying to dictate anything, just offering a little advice.
HTH

Well I am thinking to add a Seio m2600.