sps under vho's???

lazypinoy

i want some sps but iono if my lighting will suport it. i placed and stacked a pile of rocks to reach about 12inches away from the surface. i was wondring if i could place any sps there. the rock closest to the surface in directly under a 140watt daylight vho. illl post pics to let u kno what im talking about.

viper_930

I assume this is really you and not your brother posting? :thinking:
12" is pretty far. I don't keep my SPS that deep and I've got halides.
Is it just a single 140 watt bulb?
What size tank is it?

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I assume this is really you and not your brother posting? :thinking:
12" is pretty far. I don't keep my SPS that deep and I've got halides.
Is it just a single 140 watt bulb?
What size tank is it?
ya, its really me this time. lol. i think my brother got a new sn called kiddie somethin or something like that.
ok its a 125. and there are 3 140 vho's. 1 daylight in the mid 2 atinics on the sides. i think the tank dimensions is 72 inches long, 22-24 inches deep. 18 inches witdth.

reefkprz

I would guess you could keep a montipora capricornis under that lighting but it wouldnt show its best color and wouldnt grow as fast. I am keeping monti cap under PC lighting but its almost 500w and its placed about 8 inches from the lights centered under my high noon supplemental light. but I think your below the safe range for most SPS there are a lot that wont make it due to the extremly high light requirments those corals have. However I am not an SPS expert, while I do keep more than just MOnti under these lights I have a very very strict regiment about feeding and maintinence so my parameters are ALWAYS exeptional. keep in mind that when your keeping something at the lower range of its light tolerance your going to need to make sure it gets benificial feeding from whatever food source it needs be it plankton, rotifers, oyster eggs, or whatever. before you get them make sure your ready, under iffy conditions its hard to stop the decline in health once it starts.
hope this helps a little.

sleeri

I've got some monti cap under T5 lights. It really doesn't show great color. It was a nice blood red when I got it. Now it looks a bit washed out. It still grows fine, but without the color it's just not as exciting. I've got mine about 8 inches from the lights. I'm guessing VHO would produce similar results, but I've never had VHO lighting.

catawaba

I have a large green Mont. Cap. under VHO's. Granted, it is placed 'high' in the tank, but it grows well and is a great green color.