spyware

hattrick58

Anyone recommend some good spyware I can install on my kids computer? It must work in stealth mode and I must be able to monitor it remotely. Needs to take snapshots of websites, monitor keystrokes, monitor e-mail (prefer both incoming and outgoing), hotmail, AIM and yahoo! instant messenger. I would like it to e-mail the information it has found. I've yet to find anything that will do all I want, but I'll consider something that is close.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to network your PCs together, and you are the administrator. I think that is the right way.
But why spy so much? If your kids are small, then use parental controls on their accts.

angelcam

I am not a huge fan of AOL, however their new version 9.0 has some pretty detailed parental controls, like what sites you can visit, what days of the week, and between what hours you can go online. They also give a time limit. I think you can restrict messenger access on it as well.

hattrick58

We have it set up as a wireless network. She's fourteen and pretty independent (so she thinks). Putting parental controls on it is great, but where's the fun in that? There is all kinds of software out there, it's just figuring out the best one for your situation. They all claim there software is "award winning". I bet.

darknes

Personally, I think thats going a bit far...parents need to have trust in their kids...things will eventually reach them one way or another, if not the internet

mobikobeyob

just put a webcam pointed at the screen, then uplink it, and check it occasionally. just having the camera there with the possibility of you watching from work, or whatever should keep her honest.
Mobi:D

hattrick58

It really has nothing to do with trust. It's a matter of protecting her. She's a smart kid, but kids are, well, kids and sometimes they can be pretty easily swayed but negative influences. I wasn't very cautious when I was her age. I consider myself pretty lucky.

mobikobeyob

ok. you have a wireless network. You can block her Ip address from all internet access, or you can configure port blocking to disallow certain ports from accessing the internet (specifically the ones used by her chat modulelike Yahoo, or IM.) That would be kinda a "Quick and dirty" no software solution, but probably not very fair either. maybe someone with some more experience in this area will chime in.
Here is how you set up Port blocking on my router, for reference.
Mobi:D

reefraff

Why not just pop on the computer and check the internet history(button with clock and arrow pointing counter clock wise)? If it is cleared after she is using the net you could have a problem. If not you can see the sites she is visiting. The big problem is the chat rooms where the dirtbags try to lure the kids into a bad situation. It would take some kind of stealth software to track that. Try google search.

nw2sltfsh

have you considered this: (information taken directly from the website for this program)
WatchThem Desktop
WatchThem Desktop is a parental control spyware that periodically records screenshots.
You see exactly what your child has been viewing on the internet. This parental control
spy software is not a keylogger, but you will be able to graphically view the on-screen
text. Screens may be saved as grey scale images or full color jpegs that you'll probably
mistake for the real thing! Use the built-in viewer to watch the screen captures like a
movie in click-through mode or automatic (adjustable rate) advance. A separate folder is
created for each day of recording, and settings allow for periodic autodeletion of folders
to avoid memory issues. A keyboard monitor and mouse sensor suspends recording when
the computer is idle. This program provides an excellent method of parental control and
internet monitoring without having to sort through all the data provided by keyloggers.
Your child will not know that he or she is being monitored by parental control spyware
because WatchThem Desktop does not appear in the taskmanager. For more stealth, save
the spy program in a secret location. Accessing the administrative control panel requires
double-clicking the file "WTD.exe" and entering a secret password. All images are stored
as data (.dat) files, which are very unlikely to be recognized as screen captures.
Features
Image based parental control spyware.
Capture screenshots from your computer.
Set screen recorder interval to 10-999 seconds.
View images like a movie with built-in player.
Adjustable play rate allows for quick parental review.
Capture full color screens or grey scale images.
Separate folder is created for each day's screen recording.
Options for periodic autodeletion of files.
PC Activity monitor stops recording when computer idle.
Images saved as .dat files to help prevent recognition.
Administration interface requires password.
Compatible with Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP.

darknes

Checking the history doesn't necessarily work...you can just go and delete certain sites from it, but it will still show the others

hattrick58

Reefraf has it goin' on. It's the pedophiles I'm trying to prevent from making contact with her. I have asked her if any adult has contacted her in (specifically) a sexual nature and she has always said no, but she would tell me if they did. But sometimes kids get scared or embarrased to tell there parents these things because they feel they're responsible. We've talked about this several times and I really think She would say something, but there's that little nagging doubt, you know? I don't want to spy on her. I want to keep her safe. Until I decide, I'm going keep talking to her about it. A friend of her's died this past weekend. An overdose of ecstasy,

[hr]
and beer. That has put the fear of God into every parent we know, including us, of course. She is extremely sad, but more importantly, very angry. I said I was terribly sorry about his death. She said "It's okay. He was stupid for taking the drugs. He deserved to die. I tell you, when I heard that, the room started spinning. As gently as I could I told her that yes, he made a terrible, terrible mistake. But you need to understand that NO 15 year old child deserves to die. It's a sad, confusing, time for these kids (and us) and the adults need to be there for them.

nw2sltfsh

I am truly very sorry to hear what your daughter went through with the loss of her friend. When I was 18 a very good friend/boyfriend of mine died on his way to pick me up for a date because he was driving drunk. I also held the same feelings at that time that it was stupid and he deserved it. But as I grew older those feelings were replaced by regret and loss. She is protecting herself at this point and it is easier for her to say that because she is angry.
I personally feel that what you are looking for is commendable and the correct thing to do sadly in this day and age when sick adults prey on children. Along with the software that I mentioned above you may want to do a search for software called " I an big Brother" or "Net Nanny" both will provide you with what you are looking for
Your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers and Good job being such a concerned parent- Well Done!

reefraff

Bummer about her friend. I guess being mad is a way of not feeling quite so sad. Hope the grieving process goes smoothly for her.
On the chat room thing remember that a lot of the dirtbags pass themselves off as another kid. Perhaps if you explain that to her and get a promise that if she ever decides to meet a chat buddy she will only do so with a couple of her other friends you could both rest a little easier. You just got to hate feeling like you got to spy on a otherwise good kid just to keep some perv from harming them.

joker_ca

I mess around with computers alot i even have me a+ cert.
i just want to say this nothing is 100% true with software you can always find some kind of loop hole bui i do remember seeing some software on DOWNLOAD.COM that had a program that lets you spy on Aim without the other person knowing and its password protected so she cant get in there and for spyware you can
1 switch browers to mozilla/firefox more secure than IE
2 install spyware blaster and adaware(lavasoft)
3 disable IE in add/remove under window components it wont mess up your system
but check out "Download.com" lots of programs with reviews and user opinions some are free and some are trial offers
good luck

mukiwa

I am pritty sure that Zone Alarm Labs will work quite well... It will detect if there is bad stuff on that sate and if it is unstable like Games and stuff like that and you can have you own password to explore that site but I don't think it works after you have enterd AIM and chatting groups like that...
Hop that help....