Squamipinnis Anthias male

fishfatty

Can anyone help me with these fish? i would like to add one to my 75 gal. reef- a fish store got one in, and it is eating flake and mysis. He said the wholesaler has had it for 4 weeks. I have always wanted an anthias, but never attempted them. I only have 2 clownfish in my tank, so it is very peaceful. I cant even figure out what the look like on the internet...im having a hard time finding info on these guys. Could anyone please help me before the fish is gone? Thanks!

bullitr

i don't know if the tank is big enough but they do very well in groups of 5 or more and eats at least twice a day

srfisher17

Originally Posted by FishFatty
Can anyone help me with these fish? i would like to add one to my 75 gal. reef- a fish store got one in, and it is eating flake and mysis. He said the wholesaler has had it for 4 weeks. I have always wanted an anthias, but never attempted them. I only have 2 clownfish in my tank, so it is very peaceful. I cant even figure out what the look like on the internet...im having a hard time finding info on these guys. Could anyone please help me before the fish is gone? Thanks!
This is the lyretail anthias; one of the easier anthias to keep.BTW, the name you posted sounded like the scientific name--it was. It is usually easier to search using scientific names. Just put "squamipinnis anthias in the searchbox at the left. ps; What kind of lfs doesn't know what is probably the most common anthias sold?

fishfatty

hejust gave me that name..Im really the one who didnt know the common name...What do you think about me getting this fish and putting it alone in my 75 gal, considering it is eating, and has been caught for over 4 weeks? Are my chances good for survival? Thanks

srfisher17

Originally Posted by FishFatty
hejust gave me that name..Im really the one who didnt know the common name...What do you think about me getting this fish and putting it alone in my 75 gal, considering it is eating, and has been caught for over 4 weeks? Are my chances good for survival? Thanks
I really like anthias; a trio of lyretails were my first ones. If this is the only one the lfs has, its probably a male (They're collected more often); but check the pics on this site (or google image the scientific name, SWF pic of the male shows why they're having a picture contest!). You don't want to keep 2 males together. A pair would work. These fish spend a lot of time well away from the rockwork, so they are swimming in otherwise empty space. Anthias are plankton feeders and need to be fed several small feedings a day. Frozen mysiss, Formula I, good pellet food, etc. If you can't meet their feeding requirements, please don't try them. Do some research on these guys; they're not the easiest, but not hard if you meet their needs. Excellent water quality is a must. Keep us posted.