Square 37 Gallon Tank -- Need feedback

keonia

I was at Petsmart today, not necessarily shopping for a new fish tank....
Well, they had this 42 gallon tank originally priced at 149.99 (no cover and no light) marked down to 79.99. The matching stand was at 199.00 down to 165.00.
I contemplated and finally decided to go for it. As we were loading it to my car, the tank was so fragile, the glass cracked the sales person bumped it along my car door frame!! or possibly was there and I didn't see it!!
What a bummer... I really wanted it. BUT Listen to this

[hr]
>
Well, they had another display tank - looks like a big nano cube - 37 gallon. It has the light and the cover and it was selling for 149.00 -- marked down to 127.99. Since there was a problem with the 1st tank, they are giving it to me for $99.99 what ya think?
Anyone ever had a square tank?

keonia

I know -- Thats the neat thing about it and it doesn't take up too much space!! I have a CPR back pak and I was thinking I would definitely need to get 2 powerhead to get good circulation. It would give my fishes more room to swim too! I wish I took a picture of it.
They are holding it for me and I am thinking about it -- going shopping for a square stand to match tomorrow!

lradlbeck

I have one of those square 37 gallon tanks but I have freshwater fish in it - only problem is that it is hard to reach the bottom if you ever have to. I have a 55 gal sw tank.
Pets Plus and ***** both had the stands for it *sorry if I am not supposed to say that - thought it was OK since this site doesn't sell stands*
Good Luck!!
Liz

birdy

I think those 37cubes would make a really neat reef tank, or a species only tank for an angler or something like that, they are okay for smaller fish, but you cannot really do fish that need much swimming space.
one 175w MH over one of those would make a great lps/softy reef tank.

carshark

yeah especially doing a 360 degree viewing tank!, build up the reef in the center! with some caves from the live rock all through it, the fish will dig it and it will look really cool!!

keonia

STOP
you guys are all killing me!! I can't wait to get it now!!! Thanks for the info about the pet stand Liz!!
Petsmart was really helpful -- they sorta refused to sell me the 30 gallon stand because it was too small!! I didn't really think of it that way -- that all 4 corners need to be stable and stationary for safety. Thumbs up for petsmart!!
THANKS AGAIN!!! You guys are the bomb!! :jumping:

monalisa

Can't wait to see pics. I have a 37gal tall, and I think it's really a great size tank, and really pretty easy to maintain.
Good luck with your new purchase.
Lisa :happyfish

fadec40

I have the 37g SW. I don't find it too difficult to get at the bottom. It is a perfect tank if you build up the middle with rock/reef towards the top. so the fish swim in and around.

keonia

I Bought a STAND!! FINALLY --
I went to LFS - none, Target -- none, Petsmart -- local - none, Finally - meijers -- bought a night stand and the wood is nice!!!!!!!
It will be a little low but perfect because I have these neat pillows that I can just sit on and watch my saltwater aquarium !!!
It seems that there is not really any major negative remarks on this square tank!!

I drive an hour away to go to school and the weather's been bad, was thinking about skipping BUT then I realize that I need to go to school so I can pick up my tank!!! LOL
Tomorrow's the big tank day!! I am going to build the stand tonight and I will definitely post pictures when I got it set up!!
Now I have to make a decision!!! Should I get rid of those damsels? hm...... I gotta decide now or else I will be stuck with them!! :notsure:

fadec40

The several times over many years that I have cycled tanks, I tried keeping the Damsels. As soon as I stocked with other fish, the Damsels caused too much stress in the tank. They are just too territorial and aggressive. They don't fear many fish, regardless of size.
Stress can cause ICH.

keonia

I think I may put my maroon with the 3 damsels in the tank that I am cycling. I am going to keep this square tank filled.......... with... I guess I will have to think now.. I want a whole tank full of diamond gobies!!
The damsels really pretty but their aggressiveness is something else. They are really territorial!
Thanks Fadec40

keonia

I just read your thread about you getting 5 -- that was you right?
well, Just for your information --- I almost bought one the other day when I was at the lfs!! I thought it was so neat that it found a corner in the tank, dug a pit and moved little pebble stones with its mouth. It's definitely a consideration!!
I am the Diamond goby person!!

celacanthr

just remember if you do make sure you have a dsb! also they arent really aggressive at all, in fact they generally are more scared then feather dusters.

sigeia

I have a 37-gallon column tank in my kitchen 20 X 18 X 25. I call it my predator reef. This type of aquarium dose does not take up as much room as the standard size. They can make an interesting nano-reef.This is just my opinion.